Food hording???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdon72, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jdon72

jdon72 Member

A while ago I posted a thread about "how much ammo can one have"...now is another question...Can you get in trouble for having too much food? ie Mre's, canned, etc.

I was in Vegas last week and they said that you can not hord food. What in the hell? I have a few cases of MRE's and 3 1/2 freezers of food (venison, hog, other stuff) plus cans of stuff. I do not like going to the grocery store and I am a bulk buyer. Does any one know the limits or what is too much?

Any help is appreciated...thanks

J

2. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

Wasn't there an Ohio family who got their whole food store confiscated?
    Anybody remember about that? Is there an update or something?

3. Angryisme

Angryisme Member

are you both kidding me?
    this is something I've not heard about yet.

4. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

Omigosh no! With guns pointed at heads and the whole nine yards.
    Google "Ohio family food confiscated" and you'll get tons of info and a play by play of how it all went down. I just haven't found an update.

5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I'm sorry, but shouldn't this be somewhere else, and not in the ammo and reloading forum?

6. jdon72

jdon72 Member

You are probably right, but this is the main forum I use and I associated it with the ammo question I had at the top of the forum.

I was standing in line at the Vegas gun show and met a gentleman and a couple while there. We were talking about how short ammo is all over and we got on a discussion about a guy in the mountains who was being called a terrorist because he had horded food and had firearms, probably stocked up on ammo. A person should not be called a terrorist because he prepares ahead of time with provisions. I personally try not to run out and always have a supply of whatever because I like to have items on hand. There are others that go and get what they need and only enough for that event. There were many views on many issues but I thought bringing this one up in here where we all have similiar views on ammunition may shed some light on things.

By the way, there was little or no ammo or reloading supplies. I saw lots (lots meaning one table there had plenty and wanted plenty of course$) of different brass but almost no bullets and no primers. Powder was less than 12 containers or Unique and 231.

J

7. jdon72

jdon72 Member

MissAnnThrop,

Thanks for the google search...I did find some info and it is terrible that the family had to go through that. My type of bulk buying is going to sams and buying a big box of cereal that would last me months for about the same price as in the grocery store for a smaller package.

I believe this family was operating a coop with no license and no DHEC regulations. They were operating a business without calling it a business.

But the question remains. Is there laws on how much food can one have?

J

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I don't know of any limits. Just like ammo if no one knows ya got it then there is no problem.

9. JetGirl

JetGirl Member

I really don't know why anyone thinks it matters. Executive Order 10998 says the government can seize all "food supplies and resources, public and private, and ALL farms, lands, and equipment" and according to Executive Order 11000, they don't need a warrant to do it if you're in the way. Check for yourself in the Federal Register.

10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

This forum is fine Don, although it may have gotten more exposure elsewhere... I have heard of the government putting restrictions on how much one may hoard, but I've always mused that the underlying reason was just so that they could come help themselves to it, in times of need... :rolleyes:

Crpdeth

11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well sure, we gotta make sure Barry has enough to eat, right?:rolleyes: Of course the gov't doesn't want you to "hoard" food. Then they can't control you by threatening your food supply, nor can they let you starve for disagreeing with them.

12. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

I am GUILTY of hoarding. I've been buying ammo like its free. I started a few years ago hoarding 223, 45 acp and 40 calibre. Now I;m on to 22 lr. In the past two months alone I have stock piled close to 60,000 rounds of 22 long rifle. Something big is going to go down and I will be ready. Food is another thing I too have two freezers filled but I always did. I don't consider that hoarding because I like to eat! Like you said, Is having the ability to buy food you like a crime? Since when is eating a crime? If all this makes me a bad person, I'm way GUILTY! JUNK

13. topper

topper New Member

i figure that if the government wants my little garden plot, then they are certainly gonna have to work for it. it is well hidden and not easily accessible and has hidden trip wires for 'animal control'. beside, if i get wind that they are coming to 'harvest' my plot, i always have the trusty ROUNDUP spray can ready. i can spray it before they get to it and it will leave a real bad taste for whomever eats it. destroy it before giving it up willingly.

Keep both barrels loaded

14. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

I hate to be the voice of reason. Really. I'm no good at it.
    But, seriously, why would the government care if individuals are "hoarding" food? To confiscate it? Why? The USA exports food. We grow more than we can eat.

In 2007-2008, the USA exported:
    Over 32 MILLION METRIC TONS of wheat
    Over 3 1/2 MILLION METRIC TONS of rice
    Over 59 MILLION METRIC TONS of corn
    Over 800,000 METRIC TONS of barley

That means we exported enough wheat for every man, woman and child in the USA to have (approx) 396 pounds of wheat. That's just what we exported. Why would anyone care about the amount of food you could store in someone's home?

15. islenos

islenos Active Member

I try to keep 6 months of food on hand.
    Pig and Deer in the freezer, everything else is canned and dried.
    Everything is dated and rotated.

Momma always told me that 'you never hear the prepared complain'

good link http://www.aaoobfoods.com/bulkfoods.htm#top

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009