The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

reminds me of what I carried when I was active duty

They were Viet Nam left overs, but they still went bang every time

About half the time, mine had an M203 grenade launcher under it.

I miss those days.....I was 19 the gov't gave me a fully automatic machine gun and had me guarding nukes and mulitmillion dollar airplanes

·
Super Moderator
47,724 Posts
I don't think these were Viet Nam era rifles, if I remember right the A2s came along in the mid 80s, but I could be remembering wrong. I somewhat remember being attached to a reserve unit in Nashville when we had to turn in the A1's and pick up 186 new A2's. I left that unit in 1988.

BTW, I've got one just like that in my safe that has never been fired.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah, the pics I posted just reminded me of what we carried in the mid 80s
The rear site adjustments on the carry handle were different and none of the older ones had a forward assist

some of our officers, in about 1988 started carrying a collapsible stock and forward assist model

ours we defintley vintage 1970s M16s.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
As late as 1984 the Reserves had a mix of M16A1 and M16A2s ( I was active duty assigned to an ARNG Unit). As far as the forward assist (M16 vs M16A1) all components - Active, Reserve and ARNG - had at least upgraded to the A1 by 1980 as far as I was aware. I don't think anyone still had the M16 by that time.

I never saw any M79s by then, either. I think the Army had completely switched over to the M203 system by then. We still had the M1911A1 and the Smith&Wesson Model 10 and the Colt Police Positive revolvers (both 4 inch barrels and fixed sights). The M261 'sub caliber device' was available by the mid 1980s, and most Reseverve components were being urged to try to switch Annual Rifle Qualification to indoor 25' ranges with reduced targets, because most Armories then had indoor shooting ranges and this was a cost saving measure. The Remington 513T .22 was available in most Unit Armories for trainging/compeition.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As late as 1984 the Reserves had a mix of M16A1 and M16A2s ( I was active duty assigned to an ARNG Unit). As far as the forward assist (M16 vs M16A1) all components - Active, Reserve and ARNG - had at least upgraded to the A1 by 1980 as far as I was aware. I don't think anyone still had the M16 by that time.

I never saw any M79s by then, either. I think the Army had completely switched over to the M203 system by then. We still had the M1911A1 and the Smith&Wesson Model 10 and the Colt Police Positive revolvers (both 4 inch barrels and fixed sights). The M261 'sub caliber device' was available by the mid 1980s, and most Reseverve components were being urged to try to switch Annual Rifle Qualification to indoor 25' ranges with reduced targets, because most Armories then had indoor shooting ranges and this was a cost saving measure. The Remington 513T .22 was available in most Unit Armories for trainging/compeition.
The standard issue revolver we had were S&W Model 15 and we starded phasing in the Berettas about 1989 or so

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Looks just like my Bushmaster...

·
Registered
70 Posts

reminds me of what I carried when I was active duty

They were Viet Nam left overs, but they still went bang every time

About half the time, mine had an M203 grenade launcher under it.

I miss those days.....I was 19 the gov't gave me a fully automatic machine gun and had me guarding nukes and mulitmillion dollar airplanes
I remember those fondly...I was a missle cop at F.E. Warren and I remember the day they brought the A2's in to replace our A1's. Brand new, embalmed in cosmoline, we must have cleaned weapons for 5 hours that day.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Air Force Security guys are lunatics in my books. Had an inflight emergencey (likely rotor blade seperation) in about 1982 and made a forced landing at a SAC Base in Northern California. We were all wearing the green uniform and flying one of Uncle Sugar's Army helicopters, but we had to land in a little red circle and STAY in that little red circle. The Security Team told us that if we let one little pinkey outside of the circle they'd be happy to immediately blow us away. Kind of like they looked forward to doing so.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim I was at Mac Dill AFB in 2003 with them and they were a bunch of idiots from what I saw...I had Zero respect for them. Sorry AF guys but it is true.
thats your opinion of what you saw.

nice of you to judge me and thousands of other men who served honorably and protected personel and resources

I did get out in the early 90s, and I can't say what happened after I got out, but the men and women i served with, by in large were professionals

A bunch of us were put to the test when a KC 135 went down on take off one day in 88.
A us young guys grew up that day. hauling burnt bodies out of a ditch full of fire suppressing foam and jet fuel kind of has that effect on you

·
Registered
995 Posts
When I reported to my first duty station with the National Guard, we still had the M-3 grease guns as well as the Remington or Winchester shotguns complete with a bayonet lug. Many moons ago in college, we had M-16A1's that were stamped XM16. I guess they were still experimental.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
thats your opinion of what you saw.

nice of you to judge me and thousands of other men who served honorably and protected personel and resources

I did get out in the early 90s, and I can't say what happened after I got out, but the men and women i served with, by in large were professionals

A bunch of us were put to the test when a KC 135 went down on take off one day in 88.
A us young guys grew up that day. hauling burnt bodies out of a ditch full of fire suppressing foam and jet fuel kind of has that effect on you
Jim...I was USMC 87-91 (Desert Storm Vet 0311/8541) and US Army 2003-2005 (14M/14S Noble Eagle)...No disrespect was intended and I have seen,been in and done my fair share of sh*t...I am just telling you what I saw in 03. The one AF Security Forces member that sticks in my mind the most is the kid who overdosed on Heroin because he was "getting so much per diem" for being in Tampa he could afford better drugs...sad but true.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When I reported to my first duty station with the National Guard, we still had the M-3 grease guns as well as the Remington or Winchester shotguns complete with a bayonet lug. Many moons ago in college, we had M-16A1's that were stamped XM16. I guess they were still experimental.
We still had those shotguns at Barracks duty in 88-90 at NSB Bangor WA.

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
11,317 Posts

I was in the WA ANG from 1998-2000. When we shot, they handed me an A-1 with a 3- digit serial number(000XXX) that the receiver metal was turning purple on.

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
11,317 Posts
Jim...I was USMC 87-91 (Desert Storm Vet 0311/8541) and US Army 2003-2005 (14M/14S Noble Eagle)...No disrespect was intended and I have seen,been in and done my fair share of sh*t...I am just telling you what I saw in 03. The one AF Security Forces member that sticks in my mind the most is the kid who overdosed on Heroin because he was "getting so much per diem" for being in Tampa he could afford better drugs...sad but true.
You saw how much sh1t during Noble Eagle?
BTW, I don't mean any disrespect either.( I guess saying that makes everything alright.)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't think these were Viet Nam era rifles, if I remember right the A2s came along in the mid 80s, but I could be remembering wrong. I somewhat remember being attached to a reserve unit in Nashville when we had to turn in the A1's and pick up 186 new A2's. I left that unit in 1988.

BTW, I've got one just like that in my safe that has never been fired.
It was 1984, stationed with a combat unit in the 2nd MarDiv they took our A1s and issued out the A2s...those are definitely A2s. Same time the took my .45 and gave me a beretta 9mm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.