The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
model 1901(id swear it was 1801) reads forehand on the barrel, also has Hopkins&allen arms nrwh conn. 7 shot top break. serial # starts with C and 4 numbers. I cant seem to find an exact pic of my revolver, I just inherited it, its in very good condition. id like to know how old it is and an aprx value. im unable to upload a pic at the moment, sorry for that. ive never seen a gun maker and model so complicated to get info on, so any help ill take. thanx!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Due to a fire in 1901 Hopkins and Allen lost most of their gun making machinery, to stay in business they took-over/bought out Forehand and Wadsworth in 1902. They continued making the same gun changing only the markings. The first guns manufactured had F&W markings and as parts were used up the makings stated to change until the only marking on the guns were H&A. H&A them self went out of business in 1915. Research on Hopkins and Allen is scant and I know of no serial number data base which can be used to date their firearms. The time period between 1902 and 1915 is about the best you are going to get. Clear pictures can help to narrow the model down and some one may be able to give you a estimate based on the condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you ron, im excited its in my collection. its my only antique, so far, and hoped it was a lost treasure worth 500-1000, but its so unique the cash value is not that important.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The 22 rimfire versions of little revolvers like this are scarcer than the 32 centerfire ones. 22 ammo has stayed common and cheap (although you have to hunt a bit for Shorts) while 32 centerfire has gotten expensive and harder to find. For that reason, over time, the 22's got shot a lot more, and wore out more. (IMHO.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts