The Firearms Forum banner

Forhand & Wadsworth Double Action .32 very good condition

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Twaits 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
I'm not an expert in much of anything and don't know for sure, but I don't think chrome was offered in any guns in 1877. In my opinion, the collectors value would be pretty close to nothing with the bright shiny chrome plating, but then, I have been wrong before.

#8 ·
High polish maybe?

#10 ·
It's neither chrome nor highly polished, it's nickel plated and for its age in remarkable condition. I doubt it's seen much use as the old nickel on the cheap revolvers was notorious for flaking off. Date and value I have no idea.

#11 · (Edited)
I saw you posted this in the firearms talk forum as well. I will also reply here.
These guns in really good original condition will usually go for $200-$300, that's in REALLY good condition. Worn examples will usually fetch less than $200. Unfortunately yours suffers from a very badly over buffed refinish and re-nickel. I'd say its worth in the $85-$125 range. These types of Forehand and Wadsworth revolvers were almost always nickel plated.
I had this one that I bought a few years back for $90 on *********. I think when I relisted it I got somewhere around $200 for it. This one was a 5 shot .38

(note also that the hammer and trigger are case hardened. They were never nickel plated originally, that's another red flag for a refinish on your gun)

#12 · (Edited)
EDIT: I see the last part now, and looking back at the gun a little more, I see what you mean. It's a damn shame someone would do such a thing to a piece of history. Thank you for the response and ignore my previous response below, thank you.

I do see where you are coming from, and thank you for your reply, but I don't see how it was refinished, there are plenty of still worn spots on the gun, and by looking at the engraving you can tell that it has been worn down, and not refinished. Looking around, I saw that the 6 shot variants were much more rare, any ideas on that? Thank you again, I appreciate it

#13 ·
I'm not sure if the 6 shot variants are more rare or not. Possibly, but I doubt rare enough to make too much of a difference in value. Forehand & Wadsworth guns still haven't really caught on very big in the collector market but they are starting to get noticed more. Most of them are really nice quality. I have a "TERROR" and a "BULL DOG" made by F&W and the quality of both of those I think is equal to anything similar that Colt was making back in the same era.

#15 ·
There's a clean original 6 shot .32 on ********* right now. Starting bid $49.99 with no reserve. I'm going to watch it and see where it goes. It's a rimfire version though which are usually a little less desirable. Not that everyone who buys these wants to load black powder ammo and shoot them, but I think most people like the option so centerfire versions are usually a little more desirable in my experience. I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction that this one sells for about $150

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.