The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dies and mold are coming today, and I’m actually not in bad shape for 9x18 once fired I remembered I had 150 or so S&B put back for “someday.”

Plus I have 1000 9mm once fired I bought before the craziness that I could reform...

But my question is if anybody reforms x19 to x18, what’s the easiest way to mark the cases so you can easily sort your range pick ups?

Just marking it with a sharpie would wear off, wouldn’t it?

Can you change or alter the head stamp?

·
Premium Member
12,331 Posts
I use Sharpies for different loads for the same cartridge when testing but they don't have to last but one firing. Seems to me in your situation a small notch filed into the rim, like 2-4 passes with a triangle file, would suffice. It wouldn't take much of a nick to be obvious.

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
My suggestion is to change the way you sort. I assume from your question that you grab a handful of brass and look at the head stamps to tell what size it is.

Instead of doing that, if you were to set the brass up on its head on a table, and then look at it from slightly off to the side, the shorter Mak brass jumps out at you. I used to separate 9 mm, 380 and 9 Mak, and had no trouble telling which was which.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An automatic center punch works good.
Bingo. I have a couple of them too. I was thinking a fine head on a dremel or buying an electro pencil. In a way I’m not sure I’m more worried about me getting them mixed up or somebody else picking up the brass I miss, or if I was ever shot at a range where all brass is theirs...I would be able to tell mine apart. I just had a memory of my IPSC days where we would always have something on the line for some competition in practice, usually who picked up the brass when we were finished. When I lost and had to get down on my knees it was surprising how I knew which brass was mine, AND how many times my practice brass that I reloaded 20-30 times would end up in THEIR pile and their newer better looking stuff somehow ended up in mine😎

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I am one of those who reform 9mm Luger into 9X18 Makarov. I do load for both calibers, and here's what I do to keep them seperate:

I load any and all range pick-up nickle plated brass into 9X18 Mak and all plain brass 9mm Luger as 9mm Luger. That way when I pick up my brass I know the plated brass is 9X18 and the plain brass is 9mm. If I'm shooting on a public range (I don't do that anymore) I just pay more attention to the plated brass to make sure that I haven't picked up any additional 9mm Luger cases.

You CAN use Sharpies/Majic Markers to mark the brass, but it gets cleaned off when you tumble clean them. If you just use nickle plated brass you won't need to do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts