The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
17,505 Posts
Sir
Welcome to the forum

1 be gentle with it , no sudden shocks or banging it ok ?

2 if it is a plutonium core it would have a wide yellow band on the paint and a red line 1/3 across the band

that looks blue and red to me ( or whats left of red ) practice round

check here and get a real expert to examine it

if its been wet a long time keep it wet

old stuff can go funny after being wet a while , touchy when it dries ..

http://www.ordnance.org/color.htm

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Please do not waste time trying to identify it. Call the police and report it immediately and meanwhile do not handle it. Place it as far as you can away from houses or businesses and keep a watch on it from a safe area until it can be picked up. The projectile may be a dummy, but there is a powder charge in the case, along with a primer. It may be "cool" to handle it and play with it, but losing an arm or worse wouldn't be "cool" at all.

I know some folks will say not to involve the police (they will arrest you, the cops are evil, etc.), and I am also aware that the local police might not have the expertise in ordnance but they are your best contact, and they will know who to contact. You can go nuts trying to find the contact for an Ordnance Disposal unit (I know) so let the cops have that honor.

JIm

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Based on the hole in the side of the cartridge I would say the powder is no longer an issue but the primaer is probably usless as well....Beedn in the water some time to have that much build up of slime on it.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
It looks like 37mm and more than likely is inert. But I wouldn't guarantee that or that the primer/propellant is dead. If it is dropped and the primer lands on a pebble, it could go off with nasty effects. I have no reason to believe it is harmless and reiterate my advise to have it disposed of.

Jim

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I posted a link to this question on a forum where people were likely to know what this round is - Tony William's Military Guns and Ammuntion forum. He has written several books about automatic weapons.

The consensus there is that this is a 30mm x 113mm round, which is used in the French DEFA aircraft cannon. No depleted uranium armor-piercing or other radioactive rounds are made for that gun. 113mm is the length of the cartridge case, not of the complete round. The DEFA is a revolver cannon, sort of halfway between an ordinary automatic cannon and a Gatling-type gun like the American Vulcan.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sir
Welcome to the forum

1 be gentle with it , no sudden shocks or banging it ok ?

2 if it is a plutonium core it would have a wide yellow band on the paint and a red line 1/3 across the band

that looks blue and red to me ( or whats left of red ) practice round

check here and get a real expert to examine it

if its been wet a long time keep it wet

old stuff can go funny after being wet a while , touchy when it dries ..

http://www.ordnance.org/color.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa! I am so impressed with the responses on this board! Thank you all for your expertise.

About being gentle and keeping it wet. I placed the bullet outside on the patio table. I think the new puppy was attracted to the wet slime and when I went outside,she had it in her "stash pile". oops.

We have a local armory here and might take it there for identification. Though Jack 404 was very helpful in this.
We have had some rain and low clouds, so it has not had a chance to completely dry out. I'll place it in a shallow bucket of water in order to maintain moisture and to get it out of view to dogs and boys!

I thank you all for your help. What a delightful array of responses.

I WILL keep you posted as to the final outcome here.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Perhaps folks consider my comments overblown and stupid and not worth even considering, but I have seen a fair amount of ordnance and know what it can do. Small arms ammo is relatively harmless and unlikely to be a hazard. But artillery projectiles, even ones as small as 37mm, are meant to blow up and kill people. Maybe that is inert, maybe not. And maybe someone on the net can assure you long distance that it is safe, but it won't be me. If you want to keep it for a a souvenir, maybe toss it around like a football, OK. Have fun.

Jim

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I think you had some good advice Jim. Just too many things could go wrong and I'd want someone to check and verify something like that is safe before I brought it home.
I hope you can get police or the local armory to inspect it, and I hope it's something you get to keep.

·
TFF Chaplain
23,847 Posts
We were walking along a beach in Cyprus a few years ago, and came on this leftover from the 1974 war:
Sign Signage Nature reserve Traffic sign Landscape

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I stayed away from this bUT being some advise was excellent and basically ignored, I will say one thing:
BEFORE I TOOK IT HOME, HANDLED IT, LET DOG PLAY WITH IT, OR EVEN POSTED ABOUT IT; I WOULD HAVE DONE AS JIM STATED CALL THE POLICE OR LOCAL MILITARY EVEN IF NATIONAL GUARD.

IS the lives if ANY kids (and I see one in the picture with you holding the shell) worth the bragging rights of finding and owning it? Is your life worth it? Yes it has a hole in it so if any powder, most likely wet BUT if it is an explosive projectile of any kind then unless it was deactivated it is still able to detonate!!

Bottom line is have it looked at NOW by some one in the military or a LEO bomb unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.