The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,391 Posts
Please do not waste time trying to identify it. Call the police and report it immediately and meanwhile do not handle it. Place it as far as you can away from houses or businesses and keep a watch on it from a safe area until it can be picked up. The projectile may be a dummy, but there is a powder charge in the case, along with a primer. It may be "cool" to handle it and play with it, but losing an arm or worse wouldn't be "cool" at all.

I know some folks will say not to involve the police (they will arrest you, the cops are evil, etc.), and I am also aware that the local police might not have the expertise in ordnance but they are your best contact, and they will know who to contact. You can go nuts trying to find the contact for an Ordnance Disposal unit (I know) so let the cops have that honor.

JIm

· Registered
6,391 Posts
It looks like 37mm and more than likely is inert. But I wouldn't guarantee that or that the primer/propellant is dead. If it is dropped and the primer lands on a pebble, it could go off with nasty effects. I have no reason to believe it is harmless and reiterate my advise to have it disposed of.

Jim

· Registered
6,391 Posts
Perhaps folks consider my comments overblown and stupid and not worth even considering, but I have seen a fair amount of ordnance and know what it can do. Small arms ammo is relatively harmless and unlikely to be a hazard. But artillery projectiles, even ones as small as 37mm, are meant to blow up and kill people. Maybe that is inert, maybe not. And maybe someone on the net can assure you long distance that it is safe, but it won't be me. If you want to keep it for a a souvenir, maybe toss it around like a football, OK. Have fun.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.