The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Went out for a hike here in the desert in San Diego and found this off the trail unearthed by a heavy rain. It looks to be a Colt 1851 Navy, but I’m not very knowledgeable on this subject. I respectfully ask for some info from you guys, I would really appreciate it. Serial number D61755 4 hallmarks 2 are symbols and the others are “PN” and “BC”. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Italian reproduction of a Colt percussion revolver. It looks like a brass 1860 frame with a 51 Navy barrel. The Italians built them like that. The 1860 has a rebated cylinder and a step in the frame. It may be a 36 or a 44. The Italians built them both ways. It is a fantasy gun as there was never a brass framed Colt. The short barrel is not a standard length.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
It's an Italian "repro" of a gun that was never made.

Colt never made any brass framed .44 caliber Navy models.

The BC is the date code, it was proofed in 1993.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
I checked the Colt serial number log and found that the number, without, the "D" belongs to an 1851 .36 cal Navy. I know it has a D but that could have been an armorer's mark.

Sorry, I may be off base as I do not deal in Colts only old S & W's.

Good Luck, I am sure one of the other guys will have better insight, nice find.

Larry

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
take the grips off and drop it into a sonic cleaner...
might still be made pretty to be a nice wall-hanger.

Reactions: mogunner

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
There are people out there who would like this gun just as it is and pay good money for it. As it is it makes a great display piece.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It's a brass framed fantasy .44 Colt Sheriffs model. My guess is it was made by Pietta. They like making fantasy guns that never existed. The bottom nipple doesn't appear to be capped to me but in that condition it would be inert anyway. On second thought it can't be a Pietta. It has the wrong grip shape for a Pietta made in 99. Uberti doesn't make fantasy guns that far off so I'd say Euroarms

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A little sandpaper, Rust-Oleum and some elbow grease and then shoot the heck out it. :) :D

Nice find.

It will take more than that just to get it apart. I doubt it would be worth the effort but soak it in kerosene for a couple of months or do electrolysis on it.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Doing anything to a gun like this is a waste of time and ruins a perfectly good display piece that only time can produce. It would sell for about the same as a working gun.

·
Super Moderator
39,024 Posts
I have a friend who found one, in worse condition, stuck in the mud on the bank of the river behind his house. He said he moved an old rotten boat and there it was. He has it hanging on a nail above his back door.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I never find anything cool like that!
I used to go metal detecting. I'll go through old houses and barns and have found a few. I dug up this 92 Winchester. I soaked it in kerosene for about three months and freed it up but it's too far gone to do anything with.

I found this 1903 Colt in a closet in an old house. It's been in a fire and all the springs are shot. I keep saying I'm going to rebuild it but never have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts