The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

It's a 3rd Model Iver Johnson hammerless made between 1909 and 1934/35, probably .38 S&W caliber.

The serial number should be repeated under left grip with a letter prefix that will identify year made and caliber.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HRF

Thanks for the information. I never thought I would find a location like this with so muc information. The letter is "D" I attached a pic.

Also the right grip is damaged. Are there places out there to buy a replacement/old parts?

If the value of this gun isnt very higg I would love to get it working and in good shape to shoot it!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great. Cant wait to shoot his 100 year old gun! Thank you for all of your help.

I have some other long rifles he brought back from WWII. I will post them in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I forgot to ask. Are there certain people that specialize or have good knowledge about refurbishing these guns. I notice the front sight is missing, etc.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
A poster here, StoneChimney, as said that he repairs and refurbishes those guns.

Most gunsmiths won't take them in because repairs are time-consuming and frustrating and usually cost more than the gun is worth. If the missing sight is the only problem, and you feel like a little DIY, one can be made from a nickel in an hour or less. They were made a bit oversize and press fitted in, so there is nothing to drill or tap.

Jim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Anytime you see the OWL on the top of the grips, start thinking Iver Johnson :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts