The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A small gun shop & shooting range about 25 miles from me said they had CCI 500 primers in stock. So I drive all the way over and find the price is $75.00/1000. The guy had 10,000 on the counter and I could see several unopened cases on the floor.

Needless to say I didn't buy any. Another customer told me the store had raised its prices in the past month by 3X for the same primers. I talked to the owner and he was very brisk in telling me that was his price and it would cost more if I bought them on-line - assuming I could find them on-line.

I still have 2,000 on hand and when those are gone I'll quit shooting until the prices come back down.

·
Registered
761 Posts
That happened to me with .224 bullets $47 per 500 to $139 per 500. They all wanna price gouge now. That should be illegal.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
A small gun shop & shooting range about 25 miles from me said they had CCI 500 primers in stock. So I drive all the way over and find the price is $75.00/1000. The guy had 10,000 on the counter and I could see several unopened cases on the floor.

Needless to say I didn't buy any. Another customer told me the store had raised its prices in the past month by 3X for the same primers. I talked to the owner and he was very brisk in telling me that was his price and it would cost more if I bought them on-line - assuming I could find them on-line.

I still have 2,000 on hand and when those are gone I'll quit shooting until the prices come back down.
25 miles from Mobile sounds like Styx River. If that is the place let me know and I won't be going back.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

Needless to say I didn't buy any
Sounds like many retailers out there such as Cheaper Than Dirt which I refuse to EVER do business again and encourage all to boycott, after this and many other REDICULOUS items. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MAG-068

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
good score.

I'm going to get as many as I want here in about 6 months or so when this panic buying stops and the suppliers catch up to demand again....

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cheaper than Dirt never was "Cheaper than Dirt" that I found. The price for that magazine is outrageous! Like a lot of retailers, they are taking advantage of the given situation.

And about those primers, that too is basically extortion. But you practiced your right not to buy them, as they have the right to sell them at what ever price they feel. Who knows, maybe he bought them at a high price and is trying to make a profit.

Luckily I have plenty of primers, powder, bullets and cases to last me through this madness.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Remember right after Obama first got elected in 08. Sportsmans Warehouse shelves were bare; by nx summer they were jammed full once again. I spent between 3&4 gran on powder, primers, brass, ect and they gave me 10% off plus what was on sale. I had a good amount before that trip, now I'm set for life except for large pistol primers and some brass I still need. I wouldn't worry about anything, just wait until late Spring and shelves will be stocked back up. I guess it's easy for me to think that way now I got mine; and I didn't feel so secure Spring 09 though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought 2,000 small rifle primers today at a local gun store - $87 - ouch!

If I only had 2,000 SPP in my inventory, I would gladly pay $75 each for 10K or so SPP.....

It is supply and demand that governs price. In a few months you will kick yourself for not buying 10,000 of these at a cheap price of $75 per 1,000.

I traveled to 4 local gun stores today and NO SPP!!!!!!! Internet suppliers have been out for many weeks.

The lack of supply and the gouging prices will only get worse with time. Live with it and buy a sufficient inventory in a year or so to avoid the next shortage and corresponding super high prices.

I live in NY and we need to pass a background check to by ammo. This situation is going to get worse with time.

I hope your meager supply of primers lasts you a year or so....

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
87 bucks, ouch... that's just dirty pool; this is why I buy most of my primers and other stuff from Midway, Grafs and Brownells, they do NOT price gouge that I've seen anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I managed to buy 2,000 large pistol and 2,000 small pistol primers last week, $33 per thousand for the small pistol and $30 for the large CCI primers. The small primers are Remington, and I thought I was getting ripped off! There are several suppliers here, and that bit of competition helps keep things moderately priced.

·
Banned
10,196 Posts
Last time this happend I just backordered them from cabels at 5K a time.

Usually took 30 to 45 day to get them but i got them and cabelas doesn't charge your account till it ships.

Rather than checking and fighting to find them just backorder them and go about your life. When they come in go shooting.

·
Super Moderator
41,407 Posts
I still have a case (5000) SP primers that I haven't opened yet. Got them this past summer from Grafs for $105 plus hazmat fee.

·
Registered
609 Posts
SPP and SRP are being auctioned on *********.com for big bucks.....this is only likely to continue to get worse with time.

During the last primer shortage, it did not extend to other components like powder, brass, bullets....

Unfortunately, this time all components seem to be in short supply. That says to me the primer shortage is much more sever this time and will likely continue for many many many months..

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I bought 2,000 small rifle primers today at a local gun store - $87 - ouch!

If I only had 2,000 SPP in my inventory, I would gladly pay $75 each for 10K or so SPP.....

It is supply and demand that governs price. In a few months you will kick yourself for not buying 10,000 of these at a cheap price of $75 per 1,000.

I traveled to 4 local gun stores today and NO SPP!!!!!!! Internet suppliers have been out for many weeks.

The lack of supply and the gouging prices will only get worse with time. Live with it and buy a sufficient inventory in a year or so to avoid the next shortage and corresponding super high prices.

I live in NY and we need to pass a background check to by ammo. This situation is going to get worse with time.

I hope your meager supply of primers lasts you a year or so....
Please tell me you are kidding..??..??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts