The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I walked into a local Pawn yesterday and was able to pick up a few 400rnd Boxes of .22LR for 19.99 each (a steal right now) That afternoon a buddy of mine and I went ahead and shot some of it at an indoor range. For the price, this High Velocity ammo is great price and value. Before giving up and overpaying, call around to you local establishments and try to find this stuff. There are also a few places online that I know for sure will be restocking by end of this month with 20$ boxes.

Here is a site that offers this ammo at the same price and in bulk.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/95...gh-velocity-38-grain-plated-lead-hollow-point

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've shot a bunch of it. Good bulk type ammo. Not the most accurate, mostly reliable. But good enough for plinking or small game hunting. Our ancestors used about the same for generations.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For the first time in a long time I don't have American Eagle in my 22 inventory but I still have a lot of 45ACP and 9MM . I never hesitate to buy it for practice ammo, out to 25 yards it shoots as good as any other ammo I have for 10% or better less money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We bought a box to zero in my new Marlin XT-22-RO and I was quite impressed with the accuracy of the round. Not sure how it'll do at a distance, but once it warms up a bit I'll be sure to run it down an outdoor lane and report back.

·
Registered
967 Posts
American Eagle was actually the ammo that ran well in most of my 22's.
I've got maybe 5,000 rds of it left from a buy a few years ago.

Bought a few bricks of new manufacture last year, not impressed. OK
for plinking, but not the same quality as the older stuff.

My current favorite for steel challenge match ammo is Federal AutoMatch.
Good accuracy, and 100% reliable. Also stays sub-sonic in a pistol with a can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
American Eagle was actually the ammo that ran well in most of my 22's.
I've got maybe 5,000 rds of it left from a buy a few years ago.

Bought a few bricks of new manufacture last year, not impressed. OK
for plinking, but not the same quality as the older stuff.

My current favorite for steel challenge match ammo is Federal AutoMatch.
Good accuracy, and 100% reliable. Also stays sub-sonic in a pistol with a can.
I think my ignorance to good .22 ammo steming from being a new shooter may have lead me to hype this ammo up a bit, I think a longer range test will def be required to give it a good look.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Still have several boxes of Eagles. I won't win a national championship with them, but they have all gone bang so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts