Found USPSA Matches Close To Me!

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by WillieB, May 15, 2020.

1. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

I have been looking forever for competitive shooting matches of any sort that were close to me. Up until now, the closest I have found were 3-4 hours away. I was hoping to get something set up with the outdoor range I found close by but the owner is in the middle of revamping the range and has another job that requires him to be on call. I had pretty much given up hope of finding anything.

Low and behold, I was searching online for some other gun related stuff and stumbled on a little gun range just a few minutes further away from the one I shoot at now. I contacted the owner to see what the range’s hours were and what the fees were like. His response was the range was not open to the public and was only open for USPSA matches.

I did some snooping around and found out they have a Level I match this Sunday. I am thinking about going down and checking it out to see what the atmosphere is like and maybe sign up for a future match.

This excites me because I’ve wanted to get into some type of competitive shooting forever. There has always been something in the way. Either there weren’t any close to me or my work schedule interfered somehow. Now I’ve found something close and will jive with my work schedule as well. Hopefully it’s a decent bunch on the range and the stars finally fall into place for me. Can’t wait until Sunday!

:):):)

joe45c, Gudaki, howlnmad and 2 others like this.
  2. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

Go for it, Willie! I would love to do some competition shooting, but opportunities are rare this close to the edge of the World.

WillieB likes this.

3. WillieB

I have been really surprised how rare and spread out competitive shooting is both in Iowa and while I was living in Missouri. I mean, this is the rural Midwest! People here are practically born with guns in their hands. Yet you have to shoot skeet or trap to find anything most places. Nothing against that but I prefer handguns for recreational shooting. I’m glad I finally stumbled onto this little range.

joe45c and rawright54 like this.
  4. vassago

vassago Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!

I don't know your level or familiarity with USPSA so don't get me wrong here.
    Be sure to read up on at least the safety rules, violating one will get you sent home. Possible without even a single shot fired.

Other than that, it's tons of fun :)

joe45c and rawright54 like this.
  5. WillieB

Trust me. I’ve been studying the rule book but I knew they were tight on the rules from watching a few demonstration vids on YouTube. I consider that a good thing when you have hordes of people running loose.

joe45c and vassago like this.
  6. WillieB

Emailed the guy about going down and watching the match Sunday. This was his response:

So it looks like I’ll be watching my first live USPSA match Sunday morning!

:bacon:

joe45c, Gudaki, ysacres and 1 other person like this.
  7. vassago

Sounds great! Waiting for your report on the match.

WillieB likes this.
  8. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

You will have a blast shooting USPSA. I started shooting USPSA & IDPA this year and am having a great time with it. Be ready to be humbled!!

What gun are you going to use?

joe45c and WillieB like this.
  9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Willie, I don't know where you lived in MO but there's all kinds of handgun matches just about all over the place....at least in the central part of the state it's that way. Jeff. City, Columbia, Rolla, Waynesville/St. Robert area and quite a few others I'm ignorant of.

WillieB likes this.
  10. WillieB

I’m going to use my Beretta 92FS and run Production Division for now. I’ve already got a decent paddle holster and two mags for it. I’ll need to get 2 or 3 more mags and I’ll be good to go there. It’s my EDC so it’s the one I’m most familiar with.

I thought about running my Hi-Point in Single Stack Division just to see the reactions. Decided against it though. :D

I was over in the Northwest part of MO just above Kansas City. I never could find anything that wasn’t several hours from me. Our local indoor range there was doing some stuff for awhile but it was always on a week night which conflicted with my work schedule.

SeeMor Guns and sharps4590 like this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Ahhh...that part of the state is more than a bit out of my stomping grounds, so I have no idea what's up there.

WillieB likes this.
  12. vassago

I know you are just messing around but single stack is 1911 only :p

Championships were won with the Beretta so it can't be a bad gun to compete with.
    Ben Stoeger started with it before he got a sponsorship, he also has some excellent training material.

WillieB likes this.
  13. WillieB

Well.... Darn. :D

A 1911 is next on my list of guns though. Just not sure if it will be a 9mm or 45. I lime the idea of having a real honest to God 1911 in 45 but the ammo costs dear. Also, I’m more familiar with 9mm and the ammo cost is easier to swallow.​

I will have to look him up. I really like my Beretta. It’s been my constant companion for about a year now. Just put 100 rounds through her this morning.

14. WillieB

Despite the rain early this morning, I went out to the range hoping the match had not been cancelled. Luckily, the rain broke and they had everything all set up and ready to go. There were about 20 guys that showed up, some from over 3 hours away. They were all complaining that matches in their areas had been cancelled and they just wanted to start shooting again. Everyone was awesome and I got a lot of helpful tips and advice. They ran both pistol and PCC matches. The next match will be pistol and a 2 Gun match with pistols and shotguns. I enjoyed watching the match but I have a feeling I’ll enjoy participating even more!

Obligatory pics or it didn’t happen photos:

3A382483-15EA-4599-AF69-CB964A3F07C1.jpeg 60236494-678D-463D-B2F1-92A9F01FE888.jpeg 774B47F6-9666-4D80-BFB3-47F979EF30F6.jpeg 76355547-A39E-44CA-8147-A1AD7401BCC1.jpeg FB253905-DA07-4F01-910B-7F893880821E.jpeg A425CE04-9FF0-4B96-B8B5-BE7E9F2FCE0C.jpeg

howlnmad and SeeMor Guns like this.
  15. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Glad the weather broke and you had a good time.

WillieB likes this.