freedom arms 22 mag mini 4 shot cylinder problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GSB86, Jan 1, 2017.

1. GSB86

GSB86 New Member

hello,

I have a problem with a Freedom arms 22 mag mini 4 shot revolver. When I cock the hammer, the cylinder will not rotate to the next chamber by itself. I dont have any experience with guns and I dont want to take it apart either as its very complex putting it back together especially for somebody like me. The small part under the cylinder, which goes down and up when cocking the hammer, works fine. Once cocking the hammer it moves down, allowing the cylinder to rotate, but something seems to not force or push the cylinder to the next chamber. While i cock the hammer back and just rotate the cylinder with my finger it easily rotates to the next chamber, but will not do this on its own. I do not know why. Does this have to do with cleaning? or is there something blocked, or the spring? I took off the original grip some time ago, and put on a larger grip, which didnt correctly fit though, so I kind of made it fit, perhaps I damaged something with the spring which is visible when taking of the grip? I put back on the original grip now thinking it may have something to do with it. If there is any help which could be issued to me I would be thankful.

Kweeksdraw, BlackEagle and carver like this.
  2. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know nothing about these guns but I found a video of a review of a five shot version. Well into the video the mechanism that rotates the cylinder is shown with the cylinder removed. Check this in the video and compare it to yours. (Cylinder empty of course if still in gun)

Here is another video that shows in general how revolvers work.

It could be that it just needs a cleaning. If not take it to a good gunsmith and get it checked out. The pawl that rotates the cylinder should be visible when rotating the cyl.

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Go here; http://www.freedomarms.com/

Kweeksdraw and joe45c like this.
  4. GSB86

GSB86 New Member

Thank you very much carver for your quick reply. much appreciated. I found the problem I think, I watched both videos. in the first video i saw that at the 4min 25 second mark, when he cocked the hammer, you can see the pawl that rotates the cylinder comes out from inside. this is not the case with mine, the bottom pawl works fine, but the one coming out from the inside does not. I am guessing the only way to resolve this is taking it apart am I correct?

carver likes this.
  5. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You could try to contact the maker from Carver's post and see what they suggest.

There is something sticking or broken in there. Be very careful when disassembling it. Little springs and parts tend to fly and get lost. Good luck and welcome to TFF.

BlackEagle, carver and joe45c like this.
  6. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

:eek: I'd be careful pulling that little dude apart. Try spraying the shell out of the action with some clp. If your lucky it may just be gummed up and you can swish it out. Unfortunately I think a wee spring or tiny widget has given up on ya. Remember without the right tools you can cause more harm than good. A trusted and competent gunsmith is worth his weight in gold. Happy New Year:)

7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the pawl (some call it the 'hand') is either stuck, gunked up with dried grease or just broken. Also sounds like maybe you are a little concerned about creating new problems by trying to fix it yourself. Ral offered some sound advice - take it to a decent gunsmith and have it repaired.

You may not have any idea of the number of guys who aren't exactly 'mechanically inclined' who attempt to 'fix' a firearm - only to cause further harm. Buggered screws and lost parts usually result. I admire the fact that you admit that this may be something a step or two beyond your ability.

Welcome to TFF!