French Mas 1936 trouble

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Popgunner, May 9, 2009.

1. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Just got thru loading a few rounds of ammo for this rifle after my brass & dies came in. Tried to chamber loaded rounds but bolt wouldn't close:(. Noticed then that someone has severly dented the end face of the barrel/chamber. I could smooth out the protruding damage but that would leave me with voids that I don't trust. Looking for a replacement barrel & havn't been able to locate one. Any help would be appreciatd.:)

2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

owning a french MAS 36 myself I know how hard parts are to find. will the bolt close w/o a loaded round? Send some pictures if you can of the damage.

3. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

This example was given to me by my father-in-law & it's nice looking. Was able to get a new buttstock from SARCO. The bolt does close well without a case but with new unfired cases that I had F/L re-sized it was no-close. That prompted a look & I then saw the damage. It's gonna be hard to photo since it's inside but I'm gonna try in a little while when I'm home.

4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

one thought for you. do you have any brass left that you have not sized yet. If you have not, try those. I'm not saying the damage in the chamber is not causing the problem but it may be adding to a already existing issue. What kind of dies are you using? Lee? I had a problem with my lee dies, full length die was expanding the case mouth too much and rolling the sholders of the brass. My bolt was hard to close but it would close with that FL sized brass. Then I just started using a 7.5 Swiss neck sizing die and left the rest of the brass fire formed, Problem went away.
    Your chamber damage is obviously adding to the problem however. I don't know anyone that makes a reamer for a 7.5X54 so you might be stuck with some very slow, careful filing or grinding with a dremel. Depending on the position,(damage around case head and up to the shoulders) Small hones for doing honing jobs on drum brake cylinders will work also but do it slow and use plenty of oil and you have to do it muzzle up or the metal shavings will get into the groves. (area were the case mouth and the shoulders are, is to small for a hone.)
    Depending on the depth and position it may cause a fired piece of brass to lock itself in the chamber. Good news is the MAS has a really strong extractor.
    Hopefully you can get some good pictures.

5. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Thanks for your help. My photos are not good yet. Hard to photo in there. I was thinking about turning the barrel out & then I could dress down the high points but then I'd be left with low points of the dings. Was worried the voids could let the brass open up. I sized all 100 cases with RCBS F/L dies.

6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

my thoughts also on the brass opening up but I would guess on how much surface area they actually cover. I had a SKS that had a little nick right at the shoulder in the chamber. Never made any difference, everything ejected fine and when I used actual brass casings, it never left a mark. Since you are reloading your own, I would start with some lighter loads and see if there are any issues.

7. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Upon closer inspection, I see the dents in the end of the barrel/chamber are pretty severe. There is a crack in the metal because of one of the dents. I think this barrel is toast.

8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Wall Hanger or sell for parts. Parts are hard to find.