The Firearms Forum banner

Fried Hominy

5K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  jim brady 
#1 · (Edited)
Mom used to make it. I asked my sister for a recepi, and it didn't come out quite the same.
1 1/2 Tbl Bacon oil;
1 can white hominy, drained and patted dry with a paper towel;
Salt and Pepper.
Got the oil hot in a small skillet, added the hominy with salt and pepper. Slightly fried.

Didn't come out quite the same. Anyone else here ever make it and have a recepi?

Another (that doesn't sound good but is very good IMHO) is "Fried Spinach".
Fry two-three strips of bacon. Break up the bacon and return to the hot bacon oil;
Add 1 can whole of spinach to the hot bacon/oil;
3 Tbl spoons flour - stir into the spinach;
Add 1/4 cup minced onion;
Salt and pepper - stir and heat thru until the mixture thickens.
Sounds horrible - but is really very good.

(Note: I originally forgot about the mined onion and fixed this post)

We grew up very "poor" in the Ozarks (no running water/plumbing/gas or electric) in a log cabin. Mom worked all the hours she could as a waitress in a small cafe outside of Fort Leonard Wood, Missouuri. My Pop (Grandpa) used to grow vegetables for us in his "garden" and our chew-meat was squirrel he shot and fish he caught for us. Mom used to pick wild greens, and she'd fix those much like the canned spinach I noted above. We ate a lot of squirrel and dumplings and 'greens.

Before she passed a few years ago, I asked her if she'd fix me some squirrel and dumplings and greens. She got a little indignant. She said she'd make the squirrel and dumplings if I shot and cleaned the squirrel - but she refused to cook up any greens. I told her I liked them when I was a small boy and asked why she wouldn't cook them. She said "Those are WEEDS! - I'm not cooking any WEEDS! ". I reminded her that she often fed us with then - and she just said "That's all we could afford".

That story always brings a smile to my face and a warm feeling to my heart. Mom went thru a lot to raise me, my 3 brothers and a sister. Quite a lady she was. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and has a more complete recepi for fried hominy.

See less See more
#2 ·
What a character your mom must have been. I made some this past week but I’m thinking it’s not anything like what you had as a kid. I’ll often make it when I make Mexican Food ie tacos, chimichangas and enchiladas. Drain and dry as described but I use a T of olive oil because it’s healthier and maybe a 1/2t of pepper, just a pinch of salt and 1/4-1/2t of both Cumin and Chili Powder.

#6 ·
Me and my sister used to fight over the pot likker.
Boy you’re really showing you’re “country”.Barf 🤢 my mother used to make me drink the pot likker from cooking spinach. That yucky stuff made my teeth all gritty.

#7 · (Edited)
It could be the hominy is not made the same way as it used to be. I always liked it but cant do much with it for the last few years. Maybe I'm getting the wrong kind - don't know but there aren't many options at the grocery. My grand parents used to make it at home but I never tried to. Most grits dont finish out right either - they are supposed to be made out of ground hominy but most seem to be just ground corn now.

Frying greens has always been the way we made any greens coming up. Boil em til done then pan fry until somewhat dryied out. Polk, turnip, creasy, spinach, mustard, collards, all greens the same. Never added flour though but that may make the cream type spinach. Using the bacon or side meat grease to fry in made em seasoned - yummy but not too good for you in the long run.

#8 ·
I can't add a thing to this discussion other than to say that after reading it, I'm hungry!

#13 · (Edited)
When I sair 'fried' - it wasn't crispy fried. Just cooked-thru fried. Old School might be onto something about maybe they don't make hominy the same way today. Janet made a batch for supper last night with the recepi my sister used and it was missing something. Wasn't bad (Janet tried it but didn't like it). We'll have to keep working on it. BTW - my sister said that if you don't drain and dry the hominy it gets mushy when you cook it.

Fry anything in butter and it is good. My family doctor won't want to hear it, but when we cook corn on the cob I like my corn swimmin' in butter. Just like biscuits and gravy - my biscuits swim in the gravy. A little dab of milk gravy on a biscuit just isn't right. The gravy must have lots of black pepper and a little salt, too. I make mine the easy wat with the "2-3-4" method: 2 cups milk, 3 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons butter. Melt the butter in a small skillet, stir in the flour, stir in the milk, add plenty of black pepper and a lttle salt, stir and boil until it gets thick. Easy to remember - dairy on the ends and flour in the middle, 2,3-4.

#12 · (Edited)
To have nice creamy hominy grits they need to be made from hominy. Grits made from regular dent corn without being soaked in alkali (lye) to remove the tuff skin on the kernal will always be gritty and not creamy.

Here is a artical with some info-

#14 ·
To have nice creamy grits they need to be made from hominy. Grits made from regular dent corn without being soaked in alkali (lye) to remove the tuff skin on the kernal will always be gritty and not creamy.
I thought that was why they called them grits. I'm not sure I'd like them as much creamy.

#25 ·
I've never had fried hominy. It sounds good. Do you have a Mexican market near you? Try it with La Preferida or Juanita's brand; they have lime in them. Some dried hominy is lime processed as well. Maybe try letting it set after you pat it dry, to dry a little more.

I make fried chickpeas or black eyed peas. Smoking hot oil, little salt and pepper, flash-fried. Crunchy shell, creamy interior that pops in your mouth.

#26 ·
I've never had fried hominy. It sounds good. Do you have a Mexican market near you? Try it with La Preferida or Juanita's brand; they have lime in them. Some dried hominy is lime processed as well. Maybe try letting it set after you pat it dry, to dry a little more.

I make fried chickpeas or black eyed peas. Smoking hot oil, little salt and pepper, flash-fried. Crunchy shell, creamy interior that pops in your mouth.
Here in AZ, everything I or we eat can be Made with ingredients that you might refer to as Mexican/American, or Tex/Mex cooking. I was raised on it. To me flour or corn tortillas is as much of a staple as bread (I prefer wheat), pinto beans, salsa (homemade of course). Pork, Beef, Chicken, and of course CHILI! Red, green (hatch variety) jalapeno, ect. I thrive and subsist on these foods. Beans and rice, Every variation thereof! And I'm only naming a few. The combinations are endless! :p:p:p(y)(y)(y)

#27 ·
Another (that doesn't sound good but is very good IMHO) is "Fried Spinach".
Fry two-three strips of bacon. Break up the bacon and return to the hot bacon oil;
Add 1 can whole of spinach to the hot bacon/oil;
3 Tbl spoons flour - stir into the spinach;
Salt and pepper - stir and heat thru until the mixture thickens.
Sounds horrible - but is really very good.
The only difference between your recipe and mine is that I love onion with it. So at the very end of the cooking time I like to add a 1/4 cup of chopped white onion or a little more if I am not getting kissed. Just sauté it for about a couple of minutes to where it is not raw but still a little crunchy, reaaaal good.
Before she passed a few years ago, I asked her if she'd fix me some squirrel and dumplings and greens. She got a little indignant. She said she'd make the squirrel and dumplings if I shot and cleaned the squirrel - but she refused to cook up any greens. I told her I liked them when I was a small boy and asked why she wouldn't cook them. She said "Those are WEEDS! - I'm not cooking any WEEDS! ". I reminded her that she often fed us with then - and she just said "That's all we could afford".
As a boy I lived in West Texas, in Presidio. The house we lived in backed into open desert country and I would go out with my BB gun and would hunt rattle snake, road runner , dove what ever crossed my path and bring it home to cook. Mom would never cook anything for me but gave me an old pot that was not allowed back in the kitchen or the house again. It was mine to keep and everything I cooked had to be outside. She would feel sorry for me and would cook the sides for me which I did not appreciate because it was always some type of vegetable, never did like turnips or those tiny baby cabbages poor people bought because they could not afford a full size cabbage, I think they are called Brussel sprouts.

#30 ·
Fried hominy is GOOD!
I brown a bit of thick bacon or pork belly chunks. Toss in some diced peppers,
diced onions and a clove or 2 of minced garlic. Pour off excess fat, toss in a can
of drained and rinsed hominy. Season with a pinch of cumin and some red pepper
powder or flakes to taste. Stir and brown. When it starts popping and jumping it's done.

#31 ·
Dang, y'all sound like my family growing up in Southern Missouri during WWII. We ate anything dad would kill and bring home or mom could pick alongside the road. Polk salad was a treat!! We ate a lot of cotton tail rabbit.

Sorry, never had fried hominy.

#44 ·
We must be brothers from different mothers. We were up around the Devil's Elbow-Dixon-Rolla-St Roberts area. Mom used to pick 'greens alongside the road. Grandma used to have us kids pick berries for her pies from the bushes in the 'woods (she always shooshed the bushes with a long stick to clear out any snakes) and make tea from tree roots. Our "chew meat" was rabbits and squirrels that Pop used to shoot near his farm, or fish from the Piney River. I was the last of 5 kids, and we moved from Missouri around 1955.

#32 ·
If you all want something great. Now understand I thought like most of you would (YUK) but it is great. My neighbor makes a corn on the cob that I can not get enough of. He grills the corn Wrapped in aluminum foil but here is the kicker he smears peanut butter all over it before wrapping it in foil then he grills it until it starts turning brown. He has also done it by peeling bachk the hust and smearing peanut butter on it and pulling the husk back around the corn, when he could get corn the had the hust. LOL. But it is good.

#33 ·
Fried Hominy? At first glance I thought it said "Fired Homey"? :eek: WTF??
Homey don't play that. ;)
Going WAY back when I was a kid, covered wagons and all. Mom use to cook Hominy.
Still havn't figured out exactly what it was but I DO remember eating it and liking it.
Swelled up corn kernels? I remember folks talking about "grits". Don't think I've ever tried them. Tasts like chicken?? :D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.