From 30-06 to 25-06

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Donny Henry
    (3/4/02 8:59:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All From 30-06 to 25-06
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble necking some match 30-06 brass down to 25-06...Everything looks good but it wont chamber in my rifle deep enough (Savage 111 Clasic Hunter) the cases have been trimmed to length...I am thinking my problem lies with the case neck, and have made plans to purchase a case neck trimmer...I miked the case necks, and there is an obvious difference, but I'd like to get some feedback from some of you pros.

Thanks in advance.

Donny
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/02 9:14:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: From 30-06 to 25-06
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Try chambering some empty cases that you have sooted to see where it rubs or hite. Be sure to include the shoulders as the case headspaces on the shoulder. You probably aren't moving the shoulder back enough.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Donny Henry
    (3/5/02 7:21:06 am)
    Jeeper:
    I bet your right, I hope not, because I really dont want to go grinding on my die...I am going to slip a paper clip under the case, between the case and the case holder and see if that will raise it just enough to knock the shoulders back enough for this purpose. Any more ideas in this area? Thanks.

Donny

velvetnsteel
    (3/5/02 5:49:44 pm)
    I have done this one, and you may have to trim the neck thickness as there is quite a bit of meat when you go down to .25-06. Are you shooting a match chamber? And does an unloaded sized brass chamber?
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/5/02 9:09:19 pm)
    You might try full lenght resizing with 3006 dies before using a full lenght 2506 die to neck size. Just incase the area near the base is too large also.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Donny Henry
    (3/6/02 6:57:00 am)
    Guys...The unloaded brass does chamber, The barrel is not a match barell...Another odd thing is that about half of my reloads are actualling chambering fine??? Jeeper using the 30-06 die first is something I haven't considered...Interesting idea.

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 3/6/02 7:09:13 am

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/7/02 9:01:47 am)
    I usually put mine through my .270 Win die first. Don't really know why, just habit I guess.

Red Dwarf
    (3/27/02 1:55:54 am)
    That's actually not a bad idea. Probably adds life to the cases