The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
OK, now I'm confused. Is the semiauto Thompson 1927A5 pistol classified as AOW?

It has a vertical foregrip. Just a few minutes ago, I found one advertised on that gun auction site "which cannot be named here".

UPDATE - I think I found the answer - the 1927A5 had a 13 inch barrel, giving it an overall length of 26 inches - supposedly, this overall length made it exempt from AOW status
Probably grandfathered in...it is a Curio & Relic, so may fit under an FFL03...
best to check with your local BATF office...in a roundabout way ;)

That gun is currently manufactured, not C&R. The reason it is not classified as an AOW was explained correctly, in green, in the post you quoted.

Otherwise, a pistol with a vertical forward grip is an NFA firearm.

Well good for know. Will be grandfathered, but once AWB passes, Hope not but some thing will change for sure. what can't tell U least some will go through all Firearms industry will take a dive.

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.

Always wondered about ATF's ruling on this. What's the big deal if someone wants to install a foregrip on something like an AR or AK pistol, or even a 1911 for that matter? Thought about it for a bit, then remembered the bump fire goofiness that was making the rounds a while back. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

NOT...
"ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment."

NOT...
"ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are "making" a firearm requiring registration with ATF's NFA Branch. Making an unregistered "AOW" is punishable by a fine and 10 years' imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered "AOW" is also punishable by fine and 10 years' imprisonment."
I'm sure glad about that! If all the gangsters were allowed to equip their pistols with a fore grip, well...... we'd be in some big trouble! Thank God for these intelligent useful laws!

That just makes me wonder if the same applies to adding the Magpul "Angled" fore grip since it is not technically "Vertical"... They seem to play on technicalities if you read some of the other nonsense they write.
http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf
Page 2, 1st paragraph shows an actual BATFE agent explanation on what is and isn't "Handgun, Pistol, AOW" Kind of funny when you read it :)

That just makes me wonder if the same applies to adding the Magpul "Angled" fore grip since it is not technically "Vertical"... They seem to play on technicalities if you read some of the other nonsense they write.
http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf
Page 2, 1st paragraph shows an actual BATFE agent explanation on what is and isn't "Handgun, Pistol, AOW" Kind of funny when you read it :)
The magpul angled fore grip is allowed on pistols, it is not considered a vertical grip according to the ATF.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.