The Firearms Forum banner

Front Sight Training Facility

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any first hand experience or anecdotal information on the Front Sight Training Facility just outside of Las Vegas, NV? I have an opportunity to purchase a membership at a reduced price but I am looking for some reviews before I do so.

Thanks,

John

#3 · (Edited)
I've been interested in attending a course for awhile. Best thing I can suggest is try before you buy. If you can, attend a class before spending money that you may later regret. Just my opinion. They may even let you fill out a job application if you're interested. Then you won't need a membership. Just a thought.
Sorry, don't know if you'd want to relocate.

#4 ·
Been to Front Sight.....never goin back. Went to take a course from a very rep trainer; had read and agreed with about everything he had printed. I took exception to his story about taking a mule deer at 200yds with a Glock 22 40 S&W. The remainder of my stay there stank. Go to Thunder Ranch.

#5 ·
John, like you I have wanted to attend Front Sight for years! But I can't afford the class, the trip, and a week (5 days) in a motel! Instead, I found a local guy teaching courses right here at home for $60 per class. He also offers a discounted price if you buy all 6 classes up front. He might not be the countries best, but he is affordable!

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not keen on military structured teaching. that being said i am in favor of 'every which way you think something can happen and them ways that are likely never to happen' training. life comes at you from many ways--being prepared for as many as you can think of will help to cover for ways you didn't.

you are a club member? go to IDPA shoots--watch, ask questions. chances are you will find people willing to share. and/or they may know someone for you to contact. also try calling some local NRA Instructors. often they teach SD as well as Basic Pistol. i have for 20+ years. I'd be happy to help you out--let me know when to expect the train tickets:rolleyes:

things you can do on your own are: practice situational awareness and acquisition/presentation of your primary pistol--and your secondary gun!

i charge $150 for 1st class ( 3 1/2 hours), 2nd class ( about 6 weeks later) 2 hours and a 3rd class in another month or so. i am also on the phone as needed.
a good instructor will work with you and your abilities rather than forcing you to conform to what 'they' say is The Right Way. that is my biggest gripe about how 'formal' schools operate.

#7 ·
At those prices your classes should be full. For those of you that think you might get by with no training, well, you should maybe leave that gun at home. If you can't do anything else for the moment, then invest a little money in some training videos. They will make you aware of some things you might not have thought of, but remember, that they are no subsitute for real training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.