The Firearms Forum banner

Full Length Guide Rod

7K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
I was curious what you guys think of the FLGR? Is there a benefit for the recoil spring or the overall function of the 1911 pistol.

#6 ·
I guess the idea is that it keeps the spring true, whether it wants to or not. I have one in every one of my 1911's although they're probably rusty now as they all fell in the river also... I'm so clumsy on the boat.

necessary? nope. adds reliability? probably but not sure how much

#8 ·
I know, it's crazy. I hardly have any guns left, at least nobody will be able to accidentally find them, the current is very strong and I'm certain they're long gone...

my NAA pug might fit down the toilet, I'll have to watch and be careful in the john

The two piece FLGR is a ton easier to break down for me also FWIW; the one solid one I have throws me for a loop every time as I don't shoot it as often as my regular TRP.

#9 ·
none whatsoever.

Ive taken the guiderod completely out of a 1911 and proceeded to fire 2 mags just to prove my point.

#11 ·
Not at all. Without a guide the spring only loses about a coil worth of tension, running one without a guide for an extended period of time will probably damage the end of the spring. My point is there isn't enough room for the recoil spring to bind or kink, period. I like GI stubby guides. FL guides work if that's your preference. Pick what you like and roll wit it. Aside from aesthetics, it serves absolutely no advantage going with a FL guide. In fact only adds precious ounces to an already too heavy to conceal carry sidearm. Which also comes with one positive caviot, it actually helps reduce muzzle flip having the extra weight out front, but only marginally, and not likely noticed by an untrained hand.

#12 ·
Not at all. Without a guide the spring only loses about a coil worth of tension, running one without a guide for an extended period of time will probably damage the end of the spring. My point is there isn't enough room for the recoil spring to bind or kink, period. I like GI stubby guides. FL guides work if that's your preference. Pick what you like and roll wit it. Aside from aesthetics, it serves absolutely no advantage going with a FL guide. In fact only adds precious ounces to an already too heavy to conceal carry sidearm. Which also comes with one positive caviot, it actually helps reduce muzzle flip having the extra weight out front, but only marginally, and not likely noticed by an untrained hand.
Makes sense, Always respect your comments, Thanks JLA.
On another note, Where would I get Colt officer parts? I just bought nib Officer Commencement Special Edition 1984 model & want to replace some parts. I searched WC but they are out of stock.

#17 ·
none whatsoever.

Ive taken the guiderod completely out of a 1911 and proceeded to fire 2 mags just to prove my point.
+1

#18 ·
I have both and I cant tell any difference. I dont care about weight so I dont care if I have a FL or not. Either one works for me.

#21 ·
Really the only gain of a FLGR is added weight forward. I remember one many years ago offered in tungsten--THAT would add some weight.....
This is one of the small advantages of the full length, weight up front. But that's small potatoes stuff. A ccw gun, probably want less weight like said

#25 ·
I hear shock buffers can break and jam your gun. Why not just use a slightly heavier recoil spring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.