The Firearms Forum banner

Full-length guide rod

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  flyingtiger85 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new 1911 that came with a full-length guide rod. I could hardly wait to replace it with a G.I.-style guide rod. My main and only objection was the way the pistol looked with the slide locked back. Am I nuts?

#4 ·
It's a useless thing. Fortunately it does not normally cause problems. It's just like putting a third hinge on a screen door - it's not needed.

I agree with Old Guy - it makes the gun harder to take apart, and that by itself is an excellent reason for swapping it.

As to how it looks with the slide locked back - my guns seldom have the slide locked back, so it does not matter.

But if it matters to you, then no, you are not crazy.

#5 ·
I will not have one in my carry 1911, not that I have them in any of my 1911's. Can't rack the slide without your opposite hand using a full length guide rod.

#8 ·
You are right that you can't push the bottom of the slide against something to cycle it. But you can still rack the slide with one hand on a 1911 with a full length guide rod by ripping the top of the slide down your leg or across your body. Snag the sights against your belt for that "second hand".

I've got one 1911 with a full length rod (factory Taurus FLGR that you don't need to unthread to disassemble the gun). That PT1911 has a very tight fitted bushing so I usually need a bushing wrench for it anyway.
The other three just have the original JMB designed guide rod setup. Both styles work just fine for me so I've got no complaints on either one.
I think my new Commander length ATI will get a full length rod when I'm done tweaking on it if I can find one like the Taurus setup.

#6 ·
The slide is locked back when the last round is fired from the magazine. Then I leave the pistol on the bench with slide back when I go downrange to look at my target. When I return, it's still locked back and that ugly full-length guide rod was still sticking out of it.

Are you sure I'm not nuts?

#7 ·
dcriner:

Yes, you are nuts!

The full length helps the spring from kinking in operation. But I have a still better full length guide rod, the Group Gripper:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...o-group-gripper-guide-rod-plug-prod16415.aspx

The rod has a leaf spring in it that pushes on the special link's shelf to force the barrel fully into the locking lugs exactly the same with every firing. Add a fitted bushing to the slide and you can decrease you group size by about 30% for a normal 1911. It is not hype...It flat works based on testing I did years ago on my Colt Delta Elite 10mm. I have put it into my RIA 1911 in 45 ACP (with the fitted busing) and it too got a huge increase in accuracy.

I love the look of my full length Group Gripper spring guide, whether the gun is locked open or not! Beauty is as beauty does! I field strip my 1911's at home in the garage where I have all the tools I need to field strip any 1911.

LDBennett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.