The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

I have a Lee 3 die set for 223 on backorder, which includes a neck and full length sizer

BUT the LGS has a Hornady die set in stock which has only the full length sizing die.

G

·
Full length sizing just works your brass more.

Neck sizing brass only works in one specific rifle. As the body of the case conforms to the chamber and then after firing it shrinks a tad. That chamber may not be the same sized as another rifle of the same caliber.

· Super Moderator
29,748 Posts
When you NS you are helping to extend case life by not over working the brass. And essentially end up fire forming brass to one particular chamber and may make it useless in any other guns. NS only can help in performance as well. FL sizing should always be done on auto feed weapons and for cases of the same caliber used in multiple weapons to avoid chambering and feeding problems. Oh yeah, even when NS only, you will eventually have to at least partial size your brass.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

I have a Lee 3 die set for 223 on backorder, which includes a neck and full length sizer

BUT the LGS has a Hornady die set in stock which has only the full length sizing die.
Is your 223 an AR or other semi-auto? If so forget neck sizing. Fl sizing is the only option for semi-autos

· Super Moderator
29,748 Posts
If you are in a hurry and don't want to wait, you can NS with a FL sizing die. But again, if it's for an auto feed, FL size only.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
how would the small base die set fit into this? I thought this option is a must for ar-15's...
From Sierra.

Despite the oft-repeated advice that autoloaders, pumpguns and lever-actions require small base dies, the Service Rifles may be the exception that proves the rule. While it's true that all of these action types lack the powerful camming forces of a bolt-action, the more generous chamber dimensions common to most Service Rifles are normally compatible with standard dies. Please understand that this is a general statement, and that there are exceptions to this. The point is, you don't need to automatically go to a small base die set. Most of the standard reloading dies produced by reputable firms, such as RCBS, will resize fired brass properly to work in these rifles.

What this means is that the AR chambered in 5.56 has a slightly larger chamber than a 223 Rem in bolt action. The standard FL die sizes the case plenty small for a 5.56 chamber as the chamber is slightly oversized compared the the 223 die. Basically the standard FL is is already a Small base die for a 5.56 chamber.

· Super Moderator
45,392 Posts
I use/have used all three options on .308 Brass. I have a .308 Bolt rifle that I only Neck Size for. That ammo will only be shot in that rifle.

I had an L1A1 and an M1A where I had to use the Full Length die on the brass because they were both auto-loaders. The only problem I had with that is the M1A tolerances were so tight that the FL sized brass would not chamber properly.

I had to get myself a Small Base sizing die to "squeeze" the brass in a little more to make it fit the M1A chamber. That is the purpose of the SB die, it squeezes the brass just a tiny bit more than the FL die will. That brass would fit both the L1A1 and the M1A, of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.