The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt M1917 revolver and having trouble finding full moon clips for it. I purchased some on line from a reputable company and they don't work. Once installed I can't close the camber. If I force it closed the camber won't turn (too tight, no clearance). The company's webb site says these clips will work with Colt/ S&W model 1917 revolvers, but I went to the webb site of the manufacture of the clips ( Wilson Combat) they only list them for S&W. I have veiwed videos on utube of people using full moon clips for my specific gun (M1917 Colt 45) with no problems. So my question is what I'm I doing wrong? Or where can I find clips that will work in my gun?

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Your cylinder may be for 45 long colt. There are 2 different cylinders. The short one, about 1.55" will accept 45acp moon clips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your cylinder may be for 45 long colt. There are 2 different cylinders. The short one, about 1.55" will accept 45acp moon clips.
My cylinder is about 1.55" and the gun will accept 45acp with the 1/2 moon clips and works just fine. Its the full moon clips that raise the shells too high not allowing the cylinder to close. The full moons clips that I purchased have a small ridge around all the edges where the metal was stamped to make the openings. I took one clip and filed that ridge off and it helped. The cylinder will close and turn but the clearance is still tighter than with the 1/2 moon clips. The difference between with and without the ridge is almost 1/32 " thickness. The thickness between 1/2 moon clip and the filed clip are the same, but I stated above the filed clip has a tighter clearance than the half moon clips. So that leads me to believe the difference lies on the inner portion of the clip at the ejector star.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
Don't think you are doing anything wrong, sounds like a manufacturer's defect to me, if the 1/2 moons work and those don't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would happen if you thinned them down a bit?
That would probable work and I'm going to try that. It will be a lot of work and I'd rather buy some that will work out of the package. I bought four packs of 5 so I'm going to keep the one I opened and filed the ridge off of, and return the other 3. Then use the money to buy 1/2 moons. The more I research to more I'm beginning to believe the full moons just don't work with this model. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think you are doing anything wrong, sounds like a manufacturer's defect to me, if the 1/2 moons work and those don't.
I don't know, but I don't think so because all the packs I purchased (4 packs 5 per pack) were all the same. If you look at the picture posted in the area around the ejector star, at the tips of the star there's a little ridge just to the inside of the 1/2 moon clip. It doesn't effect the 1/2 moons but the full moons do rest on that ridge and that's what is causing the clip to sit higher than the 1/2 moons. The package says for S&W revolvers and I have a Colt. I know that they are both 1917 models that were made for the military and that most of their parts are the same and may be interchangeable but I think the electors may be different. Who knows, if that's the case maybe I could swap out the ejector with a S&W model. Not that I would do that! From what I can tell the guns intact with all its original parts. You can still see the brush mark in the bluing. Which means that it probably wasn't refurbished by the military. So at this point unless I can locate some full moons that specifically say they are for Colt, I'm just going to use the 1/2 moons. Thanks to everyone for your help

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Moon clips half or full, "should" fit both Colt and S&W. A S&W part of any kind won't fit in your Colt. Does your ejector star fit flush with cylinder? Sometimes the alignment stubs on the tips of the star get bent or buggered up. Just checked some older full moons I have for my Colt and S&W, and they are well clear of the star.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
What part of Calif are you in? If you're within driving distance, I'd be happy to check it out for you, and see if my clips are different from yours.

·
Registered
857 Posts
maybe some moonclips that say they fit the Colt? Dillon Precision

MOON CLIPS G. .45 ACP MOON CLIPS (10 EA.)
Stock Number: 18183
Moon clips for all 6-shot Colt & Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered for 45ACP, including 1917 Models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What part of Calif are you in? If you're within driving distance, I'd be happy to check it out for you, and see if my clips are different from yours.
I'm in Livermore about 40 miles east of San Franacoocoo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe some moonclips that say they fit the Colt? Dillon Precision

MOON CLIPS G. .45 ACP MOON CLIPS (10 EA.)
Stock Number: 18183
Moon clips for all 6-shot Colt & Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered for 45ACP, including 1917 Models.
Thanks Bill I'll check it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts