The Firearms Forum banner

Funny story and the range.

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BlackEagle 
#1 ·
My son and I go to our trap and skeet range every weekend. It's a members only club so you see the same folks every week. We had two new members this week. One guy hat a Remington 870 with a 26' barrel. It will work some what for trap but not the best. Should have at least a 28' barrel. His buddy had a Saga auto with an 18' barrel.

I didn't say a thing. Didn't want to insult these guys. Some how the guy with the Saga actually hit 4 out of 25. I don't know how but he did it. Turns out these guys came out from the city (Chicago) and didn't have a clue about clay shooting. They seemed like real nice guys and wanted to learn.

I told the guy with the Saga his gun was not suitable for this game. He said I have a Mossberg 500 in my car also. I said that would be a much better choice. They wanted to shoot another round with us and we agreed.

Turns out his Mossberg 500 had an 18' barrel and a pistol grip. I cant believe it but some how he managed to hit 7 of 25 with it. After this round we sat down and explained the game to these guys and told them what they needed gun wise to be shoot these games.

The guy with the Mossberg is going to get a 28' barrel and a regular stock. The guy with the Remington will be getting a full choke as he was using a skeet choke on trap.

Funny thing my son and me helping anyone at this game as never did it before going to bobski's TFF shoot in MO this year. If it wasn't for bobski and other TFF member carver and the rest of the guys down there we would never have learned how to shoot clays. It was real nice to pass this on to others up here.

See less See more
#5 ·
It's fun to help someone get started.

I was at the range over the weekend. A new member came along; only has a .22, so I let him shoot my .223 because he's interested in a .308 made by the same company; and my .243 just to let him have experience with a different rifle. He was pleased; offered to pay for the ammo; I said no, it's what others had done with me when I was getting started, and I'm just passing on the favor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.