Furnace quit brrrrrr

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 12:39:51 am)
    Furnace quit brrrrrr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wife comes home from work and says it is cold in the house. In one ear and out the other it goes both times she tells me. I then take off for a meeting. Get home at 11:00pm (good thing I skipped social hour).

See a note on the counter FURNACE DOES NOT WORK

uh oh

Propane tank is full and turned on. 60 deg. in the house. Propane getting to burners. Electric igniter not lighting. Continuity on all the safety switches is good. Must be the HSI (hot surface igniter is bad) I toss in a match and get it going. I am going to run it up to 85 and kill the propane and power and go to sleep.

Hope someplace in town has one of them igniters The guy who put it in is a fly by night operator and I probably won't be able to get him to do anything.

Of course the whole time I am getting ready to light it she is quoting the safety labels she read while I was out. Durned women thinks she knows how to fix stuff

I though about running some cannon fuse from my bed to the furnace so I don't have to get out of bed to light it if it gets to cold in the night
    Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 1:07:10 am)
    Re: Furnace quit brrrrrr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The only problem with fuse gig is you would need to leave the LPG on.
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:16:49 am)
    The propane is only on for 2 seconds. If it does not light the flame sensor shuts it down.

I wonder if a big roll of cannon fuse will be cheaper than the HSI

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:21:30 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: Furnace quit brrrrrr
    Ain't ya got a fireplace? Get that sucker roarin' and put sleeping bags next to it.

There's nothing worse than trying to sleep in a cold house. BRRRRR!

Cannon fuse is a good idea. If you try that, make sure you videotape the whole thing, for the 6:00 news.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:33:41 am)
    Reply Re: Furnace quit brrrrrr
    Hey, this is the far north, a fireplace won't do much good.

You gotta have a big cast iron wood stove to raidiate that wood fire heat until the power comes back on or you fix the furnace.

I've got firewood next to my iron heater in the living room, and garage with moocho backup cut and split wood.

This barely keeps us going until they can get our power lines fixed. House is all electric.

GG

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:39:24 am)
    Sleeping in the cold house is no problem. It is the waking up and getting dressed part that sucks.

I got the furnace going now so the kids could get ready for school. 8:00 I am going to drive into town and try to find the part.

Times like this GG I wish I had a wood stove.

My parents have a huge two story house. Had a wood furnace in the basement, a wood stove in the kitchen, and another wood stove on the main floor. As soon as me and my brother grew up and moved out all 3 wood stoves were removed and a new propane furnace put in. My Dad wern't no dummy. We used to split all the word for that big house by hand.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 10:51:09 am)
    Warpig see your temp is 14 right now, hopes you get your furnace fixed pronto, dang water lines don't like the cold either.
    cointoss2

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 11:59:38 am)
    wind chill is 18 below

Second place I stopped had the igniter. $45.00 and got it going like new

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 12:20:27 pm)
    $45.00 DANG, I'd give you a hand full of lighters for $5.00

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 12:26:47 pm)
    It is nothing more than a carbon heating element with the base mounted in ceramic. I could have made one at work out of carbon blocks and heating element ceramics

Electricity goes to it about 15 seconds before the propane is turned on. It turns red hot and the propane hits it and we got fire in the hole

But that homemade experimental stuff is not a good idea on a furnace in the cold winter.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 1:07:29 pm)
    Years ago, the first home we ever bought had a fuel oil furnace that was converted to nat' gas. Started smelling gas odorant in the basement near the furnace and called a heating contractor to check it out. He said the bonnet and phlemen was rusted out and allowing carbon monoxide into the house. Had a new furnace installed and the ductwork upgraded. Spent a lot of money.

Some time later, went to get a 1# propane bottle for a hand torch and the new bottle was empty - the gas had leaked out and still had a faint odorant smell about the connector.

The leaking bottle caused the smell. Never did figure out if the leak caused me to spend needless money, or if it saved the family from being affixiated.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 1:29:33 pm)
    Carbon monoxide is colorless, tasteless, and odorless. That wasn't what you were smelling. Either that guy found some holes, in which case they would need replacement/patching, or he took you to the cleaners.

The trace chemical put in natural gas and other odorless gasses in order to make it smell is Mercaptan (thiol), which is detectable in air at a quite low level of concentration, around one half part per million (0.5 ppm) concentration.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 1:38:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Furnace quit brrrrrr
    I have a very funny story about Mercaptan from my pipeline days, but I'll save it for another day.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 6:26:56 pm)
    Yeah, I know all about Mercaptan, Crusty -

Had a small bottle of it leak in the trunk of my company car years ago when we were treating a new gas transmission line. Everywhere I drove, people were calling in gas leaks!

I know carbon monoxide is the odorless stuff as well. My point was I thought there was a leak in the furnace or piping prior to the burner and wanted it checked. The contractor found the purported other stuff while investigating the smell.

All vaporous gas, propane, butane, natural gas, by federal law must contain the odorant so that it is detectable in cases of leaks.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 9:01:18 pm)
    Dang! No wonder everyone was callin ya an "Old Fart"!

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 9:24:38 pm)
    Heaters.......... uh.......... I'm worried about my AC running....
    It's 72 degrees right now outside here in south louisiana......

I sure would love to see some snow here..... It's been 12 yrs
    since the last snow and it was only 3".......

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 9:40:54 pm)
    Stop making that hot sauce and maybe it'll chill up and snow for ya.

GG

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 12:46:10 pm)
    Wow your good.......... The Tabasco Sauce factory is right
    down the road........

toolman846
    (1/11/03 1:21:20 pm)
    Reply Re: snow
    "...sure would love to see some snow." Them's almost fightin' words up here in Michigan.. I grew up in Miami and I don't have a clue what the H... I'm doing in this God-forsaken country. My Dad, who lived in Atlanta, used to be fond of saying he loved snow, as long as it was watching it on his big-screen TV, in somebody else's driveway. As far as I can see, the only thing snow has to recommend it is that it helps you track your deer if you didn't do such a good job with that first shot! Jim M.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 2:42:18 pm)
    Think I'll move to SD.....

YEAH RITE!!!!

toolman846
    (1/11/03 3:14:14 pm)
    SD - does that stand for San Diego?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 3:17:56 pm)
    Re: snow
    what about LA,SD????

Lake Andes, South Dakota

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 4:30:17 pm)
    I just want a little bitty titty bit of snow, say six inches please

toolman846
    (1/11/03 6:45:24 pm)
    6 inches is all any of us want.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/11/03 8:25:28 pm)
    Re: snow
    I'll second that Toolman!
    cointoss2

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:15:47 pm)
    Reply Snow'in ya!
    Ya'll must really have a case of "envy" over us'ins that currently is settin'' at 7 inches....

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:48:04 pm)
    Reply Re: Snow'in ya!
    We gettin close its 42 degrees tonight........

SouthernMoss
    (1/11/03 11:09:37 pm)
    Re: Snow'in ya!
    it's 36 degrees over hear in Mi'sippi at 10pm. Might actually have to throw a blanket on the bed tonight.

cowdoc
    (1/11/03 11:11:33 pm)
    Reply Re: Snow'in ya!
    Warpig i put in an electric furnace couple years ago ....i would never go back to propane ever, never have to worry about running out of fuel and ect just turn up the thermostat and it going...i get elc cheaper for the furnace when the elc coop put a load control switch so they could turn off elc on peak load but they never have to date the electricty figures out to be the same as 55 cent propane under this program plus got a 500$ rebate....i do have a propane space heater in house if elctricity would ever go out for long period of time because i do not have generator big enough to run furnace..if i remember right the furnace is 25kw it would take a big gen to run that. got to love SD weather 60 deg one day then -4deg the next day LOL
    doc

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/13/03 3:39:43 pm)
    Re: Snow'in ya!
    That is not an option here Cowdoc, Clay Union Electric is one of the highest in the state. My electricity bill runs anywhere from $120 to $140 a month already. Propane is usually cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.