Further adventures in house hunting and shyster negotiators…

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USMC-03, Apr 27, 2009.

1. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    As most of my TFF friends know Mrs. USMC-03 and I are lucky enough to be in the position of trying to buy our first house. After various misadventures, some of which I've posted previously, we found a house that we liked very much and it was listed at a reasonable price for the current down market. The house is approved by the lien holder for short-sale, which gives us considerable pause, but we made a full price offer, asking for the seller to pay closing costs, and, as expected, the owner made a counter-offer.

We had expected them to increase the sale price, but no, they instead listed some minor stipulations, all well and good, but they also wanted my wife and I to pay $4,000 in cash, over and above the negotiated price, to some unknown LLC named in the counter-offer. This completely caught us off guard and we immediately smelled a rat. Through conversations between the realtors, we learned that this LLC was hired by the seller to act as the negotiating agent between them and their lender with the fee for this service to be paid by the buyer.

In the end we said yes to the stipulations but no to the additional $4,000 fee. The seller never responded to us and the offer withered on the vine, so Mrs. USMC-03 and I are back to looking. Since this was something previously unseen, our realtor consulted her office's lawyer who said that this practice was legal although most likely unethical. We believed from the start that this house's seller was being taken advantage of and we were correct.

I heard on Rush earlier today that the Obama administration is facilitating the practice through some sort of a consumer protection web site. When someone logs in and provides information in a request for information, the shysters start calling. Hmmm…

2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I heard that too..you go to a government site for help with your mortgage and after filling out the form you have shysters wanting $2700.00 to renegotiate your loan for you. What crooks.

3. artabr

artabr New Member

Why am I not surprised.
    I wouldn't put anything past Obama and his buddies.
    I heard today that Obama told the Justice Dept. not to bother with any union cases because they were trivial (?) or some such thing. In other words, just sign off on the union side of the case.
    I heard this on Fox and I've been looking for the story so that I can post it.
    I don't know what the hell these people are thinking. :mad:

Art

4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

good luck in finding something you like. if you need any advice or help, feel free to pm me. (i have a real estate license in my state) i've been out of it a couple yrs since getting the chicken farm, but i may be able to answer some questions or offer some practical advice.

5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Maybe the fees are to help Acorn, Congress must have cought too much flak for the $millions they have already pumped into that den of theives. This administration is going to have to provide a lot of "walking around money" if they have any chance of surviving 2010.

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Sorry, USMC-03. :(

mike
    gn

7. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for the well wishes. I have thre houses to look at this week, maybe the gubment won't have gotten to these guys...