The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
PRR, are those yours or did you pirate a picture? Doesn't matter, I'm just curious. Do you load any Berdan primed cases? I have a very few, maybe 6. Mostly German 8 X 57 military and one 9.3 X 75R Nimrod case sent to me by Axel Eichendorff from Germany....after he pulled the bullet, dumped the powder and de-primed it.

Reactions: joe45c and tedwitt

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Powder Valley normally has in stock...I have a few K just in case I have to reload steel case.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the picture online. Never intentionally tried to reload a Berdan cartridge. I did remove a primer from a Russian 7.62x39 once, but destroyed the primer in the process. Back in the late 1980’s Handloader magazine they used to have a small advertisement for a Berdan primer removal tool. It would hook onto the cartridge rim and a sharp point would pierce the primer center, and then it would be pried out.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
I've seen pictures of the tool but never in person. Evidently they work quite well. They're still available somewhere.

Odd thing...Europe adopted the Berdan method, invented by an American, and we adopted the Boxer method, invented by an Englishman.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I paid 50$-10yrs ago for Berdan tool---my buddy just uses a tight dowel/water and hammer-pop right out.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
I doubt it ted. There's usually 2 or 3 holes in the primer pocket and they're pretty small, smaller than the flash hole of a small rifle or pistol case and they aren't centered. They are located around the circumference of the anvil. And that's just an opinion based on pictures and reading and examining Berdan cases. I've never tried either the pry out tool or the hydraulic method zant mentioned.

Reactions: tedwitt and joe45c

·
Registered
920 Posts
The reloading process already has too many steps for me to bother with Berdan primed cases. I toss in the trade/recycle bucket and move on. Note, I don't shoot any exotic European calibers.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Most, if not all, European/British cartridges can be made from some Boxer primed parent case so unless it's a labor of love or wanting to be historically correct there's really no reason to use Berdan primed cases.

Reactions: BlackEagle
1 - 10 of 10 Posts