The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at a show and a guy had a box of garand op rods and springs ( the long one ) packed in cosmo. they were take downs.

it got a rod and spring for 10$

was this an ok value?

I wanted to have a spare before i shot my garand much.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
A new spring costs about 15 bucks. so yeah good value. Op Rods, a bit more than that.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well these aren't new.. but they look great. i figured 10$ for stripepd parts from a working gun is better insurance than nothing.

I left them in cosmo and put them in a large ziplock for 'if/when'

hope i don't need em.. but feel better having a backup rod .. not knowing how picky my garand will be with ammo.. etc..

ps.. thanks for the info.

I couldn't find any new ones for sale and had no idea of price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Used Op Rods are a crap shoot if you don't know whatto look for
You need to measure piston and tab, also rod may not have proper bends.
If they were selling them that cheap they either didn't know what they had (unlikely) or they are out of spec and need rebuilt.
Non collector in spec op rods will run $120 +
Getting a out of spec op rod rebuilt (tab, piston, bends )with shipping will cost that much or more depending

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
while i have no way to verify.. suposedly these came out of working guns that were partially stripped for parts / demilling.

again.. I got no way to verify this.

this guy only sells garand, carbine and 1911 parts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
$10 for a Op Rod is unheard of, are you sure you don't mean follower rod? The rod that goes into the op rod spring

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the spring came with that flat 'rod' too. i kinda considered that as an assembly.

·
Garandaholic
9,512 Posts
Used Op Rods are a crap shoot if you don't know whatto look for
You need to measure piston and tab, also rod may not have proper bends.
If they were selling them that cheap they either didn't know what they had (unlikely) or they are out of spec and need rebuilt.
Non collector in spec op rods will run $120 +
Getting a out of spec op rod rebuilt (tab, piston, bends )with shipping will cost that much or more depending
Mr. Orlando knows what he speaks of when it comes to Garands. But even I the neophyte Garand junkie can tell you 10 bucks is maybe 10% of what it's worth if functional. Depending on what exactly it is you could've hit a gold mine, i.e. right maker/drawing number/heat lot/ cut or uncut. Or, it could be worn out and worth $10.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ps.. he did not claim these were 'reconditioned'.. just to clarify. ( the pull to charge piece.. right? )

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you did real well
What is stamped on side of op rod??
well it's miles away in a bag full of cosmo right now..

i don't recall much of any writing on it. there was some long number and a capital SA after the number? before the numbwer maybee? was on a flat part before a round part with a hole in it..

i'm not explaining it good.. but I don't have it with me here at work.. nor did i clean it and inspect it. i just grabbed it out of his box .. looked at it and a couple others trying to decide what a wear mark might look like and then thrw 10 down as i was walking away he handed me a long spring and a flattened rod or.. lever.. seem to recall it has one end with a bend or deviation in it. ie.. it's not straight..it has a piec ethat i recall curved up and then kept going out.

not a good exp i know.. but i'm not a gunsmith.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do they offer a national match OP ROD spring guide and the HD OP ROD spring for the m1garand like they do for the m14?

I just purchased a norinco m14 and went thru it with new nm parts. Not knowing how much wear and tear is on the on the original parts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do not install a heavy duty op rod spring on a Garand, depending on ammo it will cause short stroking. The Garand does not have a op rod spring guide guide, does have a follower rod that the op rod spring attaches to. No NM version on the follower rod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts