The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding any think about gas checks for reloading lead bullets. It's been quite a few years ago that I did use them. They are little copper seats that go on the bottom of the bullet to prevent gas leakage and help in leading the barrel. Anyone know anything about that?

·
Super Moderator
40,005 Posts
I do! I have some in .429 and some in .358 somewhere but haven't used them in quite a while.

BTW, welcome to The FIrearms Forum.

·
Super Moderator
40,005 Posts
Only thing I have ever heard them called. Here is a selection of them at Brownell's:

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used to buy the Honady gas checks, but after watching a couple discussions here and elsewhere I tried Sages Outdoors. I have a reserve in there for some .308 checks. I bought .224, .264 and .357. I'll be using them and finding out what I think, but they have good reviews here.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Buffalo arms is out of stock as well. I ordered some a few weeks ago and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
MidSouth and Sage were in stock when I posted the link.

I looked at my 35 cal. gas checks. I have two boxes, one old and one new. Both are Hornady and the same # and make no differentiation between .357 and .358. I use them on 35 cal. and 9mm cast bullets for rifles and they work just fine. So, evidently they only make one 35 cal. gas check for rifles and revolvers.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
They are hard to find now just like any other reloading component. Midway is “out of stock” “no back order “ for every size except some really odd sizes.

At the last show at the same table blowing out small pistol primers for $100/1000 I found one buried box of 1000 Hornady .30 cal gas checks for $36...which I think was what he had it labeled at for the January show and he missed it😉. They generally sell now for about the same “regular” price of 1000 primers...which is somewhere between $40-50 if you find them.

I’m researching making them from beer can aluminum, God had blessed me with an unlimited supply of THAT commodity🤓. The only thing is the methods and tools I’ve read about seem too complicated (expensive😎) than it ought to be. I’m thinking a punch and die should be all you would need, someone (Lee?) will come out with a set soon I’d be willing to guess.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
So did Mid-South. Sage shows the 35 cal. copper and aluminum checks out of stock. Wouldn't be surprised if Nathchez doesn't have them as well. Evidently they do. They aren't marked out of stock.

Hornady Crimp-On Gas Check .35 cal - 1000/ct | Natchez (natchezss.com)

There's all kinds of dies out there for making them at home. Doesn't take a lot, just a supply of cans, as polish mentioned.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
There's all kinds of dies out there for making them at home. Doesn't take a lot, just a supply of cans, as polish mentioned.
Yeah but all the ones I found were pretty expensive and complicated. Have you found any simple ones?

it shouldn’t be too complicated, a punch to cut out the proper disc a little oversized for caliber, then a little cup that’s bore sized and blunt punch a little undersized for the cup to form the lips? yes it would be a slow one at a time process, but all most people would need. Yes you’d need a separate cup and forming punch for each caliber, but that shouldn’t be too much trouble or expense.

Every one I see is meant to be press mounted and designed to crank out thousands from strips of aluminum, seems to me one at a time as needed would be plenty for most shooters

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
No sir polish, I haven't looked into but one to any depth and it was a tutorial on making your own. As you described, it shouldn't be very complicated. All the others I'm mostly just aware they exist. How expensive are they? If a fella shoots cast, gas checked bullets in many calibers he's gonna need several dies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts