Gas-guzzlers ticketed for fuelling war

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Fresh20
    (2/5/03 12:35:33 am)
    Reply Gas-guzzlers ticketed for fuelling war
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you folks think of this? Really think, not just react...

04 February 2003

WASHINGTON: Sport utility vehicles (4x4s) across the United States will be ticketed by a group of peace protesters alleging that gas-guzzling cars fuel war and other deadly conflicts.

Tens of thousands of mock parking tickets have been printed for distribution in cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington, according to the Berkeley-based nonprofit group Project Underground.

"Gas-guzzling fuels terrorism and war," read the tickets, stamped "Violation" along one side.

"Drunk driving puts lives at risk – and so does driving an SUV. Oil dependence drives conflicts that kill innocent people. Please take a moment to consider the true costs of driving an SUV," the tickets say.

Project Underground spokesman Gopal Dayaneni said the tickets were designed to help drivers see connections between gas-guzzling vehicles and a potential war in Iraq, which he said was motivated by American dependence on foreign oil.

"One of the huge pieces of this war (on Iraq) is about securing stable access to large amounts of crude oil," he said today.

"Nothing typifies American over-consumption of petroleum more than gas-guzzling SUVs. We ask people who have SUVs to think deeply about the choices that they are making, and the consequences of those choices."

Gasoline mileage for sport utility vehicles differs widely but they consume far more fuel than smaller passenger cars.

The ticketing action tomorrow is expected to coincide with a series of small demonstrations outside US gasoline stations, where protesters plan to hand out leaflets arguing "access to oil is not worth war."

Organisers said they planned to continue to issue tickets to SUVs for several months

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 2:53:51 am)
    Reply Re: Gas-guzzlers ticketed for fuelling war
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think they'll print those tickets on TP if they know where it's going if I catch them touching anything of mine.
    -12 gauge when you want to REALLY get serious.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 4:04:10 am)
    Re: Gas-guzzlers ticketed for fuelling war
    Didn't have'ta think too hard er to long on this wun. First one'uv thoz idjots what touches my SUV tryin to put one'a them tikkets on it getz their arm broke soon az I kin get to him, or her; makes no dif'rence ta me.

Edited by: ruffitt at: 2/5/03 4:07:28 am

wundudnee
    (2/5/03 7:07:27 am)
    Like the sign says, "Do you believe in life after death? Touch this vehicle and find out for sure."

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 7:52:02 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: Gas-guzzlers ticketed for fuelling war
    That's about the stupidest argument I've heard. SUV's cause war? Gimme a break.

It's too bad I don't live in California. I'd sure like to have one of those bunny-huggers come and put something on my windshield, just so I could let out some aggression when I kicked his/her ass.

Notice it's a Berkely-based group. Californians again! Folks, I ask you again, how long are we going to put up with Californians?

Down with California!

Down with California!
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 8:22:17 am)
    we were asked to think about it... correct?

Well, I think it's exactly the same tactic used at disarming legal citizens... and certainly no different that the new anti-drug commercials I'm seeing on tv now-a-days.

Where the hell is just a little common sense?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 8:31:45 am)
    Go ahead....touch my truck....

Remember---I live in Texas....harm could come swiftly

LTS

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 9:45:52 am)
    and what...

they've legally killed 7 in Texas already this year?

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 9:52:03 am)
    BUT ARE THEY USING RECYCLED PAPER? They are contributing to the loss of the rain forest, and consuming fuel to make more paper.

We should tell them....they might slit their wrists.

Smoky, loaner of razor blades.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 11:00:11 am)
    Let'm do what they gotta do, jus don't step in front r back of unit if i am in drivers seat. To quote a quote "Go ahead make my day!"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/5/03 11:53:22 am)
    Berkeley is the suckiest bunch of maggots in da world. Wish the ground would open up and swallow the damn place...but mother earth would just puke that hairball back up...it don't want it either.

GG

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 11:59:45 am)
    Wood be kind'a nice if that San Andreas fault wood jest open up an swaller the hole dam state. Woodn't bother me none what so ever.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 1:28:33 pm)
    Spoz they would rather have us take the train!.......... oops that locomotive burns 20 gal an hour at idle. That might start a war.

Strap them to a solid rocket booster and send them up on the next shuttle mission to save the cosmonauts. That will give them the true definition of (using Fuel) GRRRRRRRRRR

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/03 1:51:27 pm)
    As the above consenus states - Let me catch you sticking something on my truck and it will be stuck up your a$$!!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/5/03 9:18:49 pm)
    Want to make a bunny-hugger cry?
    Ask them if they are in favor of recycling paper.
    When they say yes, tell them it takes more fuel and contaminates more water to recycle paper than to cut down trees and make new paper.
    Ask them if they are in favor of making new paper rather than using recycled paper.
    When they hesitate, tell them it takes more room (earth) to dispose of waste paper than any other waste humans produce.
    Ask them if they are in favor of recycling paper.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/03 12:04:51 am)
    Putting a ticket on mine, could cause them to pull back a bloody stump.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 7:53:27 am)
    and to think they are the cause of wasting paper & littering.
    The least I could do is take it off my windshield and throw it on the ground!

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

[email protected]

lockedcj7
    (2/11/03 9:43:22 am)
    Reply I'd be more than happy...
    ...to drive a big-a** truck that gets 30mpg. The problem is that Detroit has yet to make one. Until then, I'm going to drive what I want to drive!

We don't need roller-skates that get 70mpg, we need Suburbans that get 35! Where is the R&D?

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/03 9:46:24 am)
    Reply Re: I'd be more than happy...
    I can't wait until Bush re-classifies liberals as "Domestic Terrorists".
    My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/13/03 9:55:15 am)
    Reply Re: I'd be more than happy...
    U tucha my truk I breaka U face.....an dats da troot!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.