GERBER AUSTRALIAN ULITITY BOWIE KNIFE

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by cpt-t, May 13, 2020.

1. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

I am not much of a really knowledgeable knife guy. But I carried a Gerber Mark series knife in Viet Nam in 71 & 72 and really liked it. So at a Gun Show about 6 months ago, I saw a large heavy Gerber Knife. That the owner said he had just traded for. The Knife is 14 1/2 inches long, blade is 9 1/4 inches long, and the blade is 1/4 inch thick. The knife has a very heavy black canvas sheath that says Gerber on it. And it has a fastener on the back of the sheath to attach to a Alice Rucksack, He told me. Both the Knife & Sheath are in really good condition, almost like new. He told me the Knife was called a Gerber Australian Utility Bowie Knife. And other than that He didn`t know much about it at all. And He sold it to me for $25.00. That was really hard for me to believe, I really think I got a very good deal. Do any of You guys know anything about this knifes, Quality level or Worth. Any other info that You Guys could give me on this Gerber Knife would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    ken

rooter and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I've had Gerber brand knives for years and I like them a lot. I never heard of the model you mentioned. Someone who knows knives should respond soon.

cpt-t likes this.

3. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Something like this:

shootbrownelk and cpt-t like this.
  4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Ken...Speaking of knives I had the K-Bar I brought home with me that I in turn gave it to my son-in-law who lost his Marine brother at the Battle of Hue about '67...I do
    recall, over the long years, of seeing shop made knives the Seabee steelworkers would craft
    from broken vehicle leaf springs...handsome things with the leather sheaths they'd make
    from hobby shop materials and tools...Ken, I hope things are going well for you amidst the
    daily turmoil we all face with current developments all about..there are those who simply
    describe as "crazy" when for most of us, it is far worse than that. Best Regards,Chief

shootbrownelk and cpt-t like this.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I have owned a few Gerber knives in my life. I have never owned a Gerber Bowie knife but if you bought ANY Gerber bowie knife for $25, then you got a fantastic deal, in my opinion.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  6. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

JOHN: Thanks for asking. Everything is about the same at my house. My Wife`s health is still deteriorating slowly but surely. It was good to hear from You. I hope You and Yours are doing well.
    ken

rooter likes this.
  7. cpt-t

cpt-t Active Member

gdmoody: I had never seen a Gerber Bowie Knife before either. And when he said would sell it for $25.00. I had trouble getting the money out fast enough. And this guy and his wife that sold it to me were both knife dealers. I still can`t believe my luck on this deal. My Knife & Holster looks exactly like the picture that Empty_Holster sent in.
    ken

Empty_Holster: Thanks for the Info. My Gerber Knife & Sheath look exactly like the one you sent the pictures of. This is one big heavy duty knife. I dought I will ever run across another Gerber Knife like it for $25.00. Again Thanks For Your Help.
    ken

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2020
    shootbrownelk likes this.