The Firearms Forum banner

German Luger. History, information, value?

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Coulee 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to know some history/information and value of a German Luger that was handed down to me. Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You've got a real gem, there. From the photos - all matching numbers, all original finish, and even a matching magazine. That is rare. My computer is slow today, so I cannot carefully see all of the pictures. The pistol looks a little dry - you may want to get some good gun oil and a soft cotton cloth and go over the surfaces lightly to keep any surface rust from forming.

Carefully look at the back of the holster for issue numbers and a date. Also check it for a 'combination tool' that may be in a little pouch on the inside of the holster flap. You have a 'gold mine' in the pistol, and may have more in a matching holster. You need a professional appraisal, but I'd expect AT LEAST a couple of thousand for that set-up. It may be enough to be worth insuring. I've seen mis-match 'shooter grade' PO8 Lugers go for $500 to $700, but yours in definitely in a 'Collector Grade' - and true Luger collectors pay crazy prices for them.

#16 ·
Original German military issue holsters are valuable. This one, like the pistol, is in great condition. I'd expect this holster to fetch anywhere between $300 (very low) to upwards of $600 to a collector. You say you inherited this set. You are very fortunate. This was passed along to you from someone who appreciated them, and I hope you do, too. Please do not store this pistol in the holster because it will deteriorate the pistol's finish. Also, when you oil it for protection, be sure to keep as much oil away from the grip panels as possible, because the oil will seep into that old wood. Enjoy! Jim

#17 ·
One more question. Sorry I'm so ignorant and clueless when it comes to this...I've been seeing where a lot of older guns are graded on a percentage scale. Obviously get the gist of the scale...but can anyone give me a percentage on mine?

#19 ·
A beautiful Erfurt Luger and in this condition most likely worth $2500 to $3000 . I have three 1917 DWM Lugers. They are all very nice guns but not in the same condition as yours. I'm sure mine all saw service but your does not appear to have seen any of that nonsense.
I wonder about the 1935 number on the back of your holster. I have a "G" date Luger with a matching serial numbered holster to the pistol. No date on the holster. In 1935 the Germans were still trying to conceal their arms production capability. They were using a letter code date for small arms production, "K" for 1934 and "G" for 1935. I think the "1935" number on your holster is most likely the serial number to the pistol it was issued with . By 1936 they didn't seem to care anymore and stamped weapons and holsters with the production dates. You have a beautiful piece of history and should be passed on to your family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.