The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a German Luger I inherited from my Dad 5 years ago and it has been sitting in a drawer. I am not a collector so I thought I may sell it but I have no idea what it may be worth. I believe it may be a DWM 1920 commercial model and it seems to be in quite good condition but I don't now good from great. It is 7.65 mm/ 30 Luger and all numbers match except the magazine. No rust and the barrel and rifling look good. I also have a box of 30 Luger ammo ( 50 rounds ) that was with it but I have no idea how old it is or if it is worth anything. I really would appreciate any help if there is a range someone could give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You have a very nice commercial Luger which was exported to the U.S. sometime during the 1920s. It is the most common Luger and the least desired because of the caliber, as the ammo is fairly expensive. Depending on condition, the value ranges from a low of $600 to a high of $1200. The condition of yours would make it worth around $800. Incidentally, the maazine is not original to the gun, as it should have a blank bottom without a number, but this has little effect on the value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. This is about what I expected from what I was able to find out but I appreciate receiving your valued opinion.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just a general question - can this Luger be converted to 9mm Parabellum with just a new barrel? It seems to me I used to see ads for replacement Luger barrels that suggested that.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Absolutely. The only difference between a .30 and a 9mm Luger is the barrel. All other parts, including the magazine are the same. However, the barrel is presently matched to the frame, and changing barrels would result in a non-matching gun, thus reducing the value.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks, wonderwhippet! I always wondered if that was true, or just something they said to sell barrels. You're quite right - this one is too nice to mess with.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
That is a beautiful handgun. I have one and they are a really fun to shoot. I really like the way it fits in the hand. It's like a piece of art that you can shoot. I wouldn't sell it if it was mine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Completely agree with Wonderwhippet on valuation.
One more detail about converting to 9mm:
In addition to changing the barrel, one would probably need to change the main coil spring, as the coil springs on the 1920 commercials were usually weaker and consisted of 18-19 coils, where the military WWI 9mm guns had usually 21 coils. The WWII Mauser production guns had approximately 22 coils in the main spring, most likely in order to cycle the hotter WWII ammo.
So, if you leave the original main spring in the gun during conversion - it might not fully cycle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I haven't owned a Luger in years. (Probably somewhere around 25 or 30 yrs.) Anyway, I recently got the itch to own one again....... until I priced what they are going for these days.:eek:

I've decided that my "Want to have/Willing to pay" ratio is way out of whack........;):D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Completely agree with Wonderwhippet on valuation.
One more detail about converting to 9mm:
In addition to changing the barrel, one would probably need to change the main coil spring, as the coil springs on the 1920 commercials were usually weaker and consisted of 18-19 coils, where the military WWI 9mm guns had usually 21 coils. The WWII Mauser production guns had approximately 22 coils in the main spring, most likely in order to cycle the hotter WWII ammo.
So, if you leave the original main spring in the gun during conversion - it might not fully cycle.
Thanks, valbehaved. That's the kind of thing I was curious about.

It's a pity how expensive Lugers have become. I don't know if the East German reworks still sell for a discount or not. They don't look like much, but mine is a good shooter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts