The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've inherited this Luger and would like some information about it. What model, year, and approximate value? I don't really know guns, so I'm unable to tell you the actual condition, though I'm hoping my photographs will help...
I also have a holster, though I'm not sure I can post that many pictures... This is my first time posting, so if you have any questions, let me know. Thank you in advance for help!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
German Luger Holster Value?

I ran out of room for more pictures, so I've posted the Holster separately.
The piece of metal on the buckle is missing, and the little tool (I don't know it's proper name) was in the pocket on the inside. I'm sure the holster would be sold with the gun, I just didn't know how to post the extra photographs? Thank you for any input!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Forget worrying about the size of your photos. It's good that you posted them. Welcome to the forum.

First off, that is an original start of WWII holster and I'd pretty much bet that the pistol is a WWII bring back. Also, from as near as I can tell from the nice detailed pictures you took, it is in very decent condition. I can't do the research for you now but I can tell you for certain that the pistol is worth over $1000.

Regards,
Will

P.S. I will look at this more when I get back home this evening.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Let me pre-qualify by stating that I am NOT a P.08 expert or collector. I am just a run-of-the-mill shooter and collector, BUT -That is one really nice WW1 German Luger!!!!! Just the WW2 holster alone is worth big bucks, and you have the magazine loading tool, too! The folks who made them went out of buiseness -so to speak - in 1945 and those things are prized by collectors. Those Luger collectors have mighty deep pockets.

The pistol itself is a gem. From the pictures, it is all matching in serial numbers, and that is another whopping score. It has the original finish and very little wear. The grip panels are clean, and the checkering is very sharp.

You say you are not realliy into firearms. If I were you, I'd get it appraised by a professional. It will cost a few bucks, but a very slight of a percentage of what that pistol is worth. With everything shown, I'd expect to see this one go for more than $1300, and that is a guess.

I've seen what I'd call 'shooters' go for $400 to $600, and those were refinished with mixed parts. I've seen many bring backs go from $700 to $900. With yours in the condition it is in, I'd say you are at least in the high end of that. Add to it that an original issue holster, which is in great shape - and the original mag loading tool - I'd add another $400 EASY to that.

Check out the magazine that has the wooden bottom and is shown inserted into the pistol - see if the numbers on it match the pistol. That's another thing collectors look for, and if yours does the value goes up even more.

Pardon my poor spelling, but yours is an Erfert arsenal manufactured militay P.08 made in 1918.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I most definitely agree with Jim - you need to get it appraised. At a live gun auction I suspect that you would get quite a good price for it. If you decide that you want to sell it, definitely advertise for private sale for collectors OR send it to a very good gun auction. I don't know what state you're in, but I can point you in the direction of where you would want to go if I do know your state.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Just a little OT, once upon a time, in a land , far, far away { Yuma Proving Grounds. Az ,1967,}, I was offered a Luger that nice , with holster and belt, turned it down because the young man wanted the outrageous price of 275 dollars for it, I did offer 225 but no go. He did sale it for 250, go figure:).

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Crazylegs

Try these guys - they run gun auctions in Michigan:

SSLfirearms.com
Detroit Metro Office
2851 James P Cole Blvd
Flint, MI 48505
248-627-5200

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Everything that you have been told so far is excellent information, but I will elaborate a bit further. Your 1918 Erfurt Luger does appear to be in excellent shape and all numbers we can see are matching. There are a few internal parts which are also numbered and to see them the firearm has to be dismantled, an easy job for someone who knows how, but almost impossible for someone not familiar with Lugers. What we need to know is if the firing pin, extractor, trigger, etc. also match. If they do, the gun has a value of around $1400. Next, we need to know the condition of the bore. If it is excellent, this would .bring the value up to about $1600. You have a magazine with a wood bottom, and if it has a number which matches the gun this will bring the value up to about $2100. The WWII holster is incorrect for this WWI pistol, and should be sold separately. If it were undamaged, it would have a value of about $250. However, it needs an expert repair which will cost aqround $75, so the holster will only bring about $175 in its present condition. The loading tool is unmarked, and so has a value of about $40. It it had a military marking, it would be worth $100 or so, and some with very rare markings can bring way into the hundreds of dollars. The extra magazine is from a WWII pistol and is worth around $135 but is incorrect for your pistol. All in all, the total value of your outfit in its present condition is about $1750, but if the bore is excellent and the magazine matches, the total value could reach $2450.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.