The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got my hands on a Conrad Heym 16 gage double barrel shotgun.
I'm wondering if it is worth anything or is it a wall-hanger.
If anyone could help, I will really appreciated.
Exept further name on the barrels, there are no other markings on it.
Wood Gas String instrument Musical instrument Bicycle part

Water Wood Shotgun Door handle Metal

Wood Gas Sports equipment Metal Fashion accessory

Brown Wood Rectangle Font Metal

Rectangle Road surface Wood Grey Asphalt

Rectangle Road surface Wood Brickwork Grey

Black Road surface Wood Grey Black-and-white

Line Wood Tool Composite material Pipe

Road surface Wood Asphalt Brickwork Door

Wood Door Metal Terrestrial animal Tail

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous shotgun. Amazing condition considering it's age. I sure wouldn't call this a 'wall hanger'. It is art work.

There are people who still use muzzle loading shotguns - but I don't know any personally. I cannot give you a value or examine the shotgun and tell you if it would be safe to fire or not just from pictures. It is almost a shame to shoot it OR hang it on a wall for decoration.

Congratulations on a very fine shotgun.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
This doesn’t look like a front stuffer Jim. You state there are no other markings however did you separate the barrels from the receiver? Look on the water table (flat part of the receiver that mates with the barrels) and the barrel flats? There will be proof marks there that will help ID just what you have.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
This doesn’t look like a front stuffer Jim. You state there are no other markings however did you separate the barrels from the receiver? Look on the water table (flat part of the receiver that mates with the barrels) and the barrel flats? There will be proof marks there that will help ID just what you have.
Germany didn't have proof laws until 1891, I suspect the gun is older than that. Some people still shoot these old guns using mild black powder loads if they are in high condition, some people don't trust laminated barrels regardless of the gun's condition. We can't tell what condition it's in internally from pictures on the web. It is a beautiful example of the German art of gunsmithing though.

·
Premium Member
15,944 Posts
That isn't a muzzleloader, jim, it's a BP cartridge gun. Probably 1870's-80's and most likely with 2 1/2 inch chambers. As that is before Germany's first proof law in 1891-93 it probably doesn't have much for proof marks but, it's definitely worth pulling the forearm, lifting the barrels from the action and checking the bottom of the barrels as Firpo mentioned, on the water table. I suspect there's something there but probably not official German proof marks....unless it's later than I think. However, the curly action release sort of precludes that. Then, there is also the possibility it could have had a repair that required proof, after the repair, if it was repaired post 1891-93. Lots of "ifs"

Welll...yeah, it's worth something. First off it's a Heym, one of the top German makers and, the firm is still in business I believe. You aren't going to retire off it but I'd give it $750-$1,000, depending on who might want it. Bear in mind that's one man's opinion. As many have said before, it's actual worth is what someone is willing to pay for it.

It LOOKS to be on a Roux type action. That big cheek rest is called "Tyrolean." Some find them unsightly but I rather like them....but I'm twisted that way. The grip behind the trigger guard appears to be wood but, it might be horn, I can't tell. I have a combination that is quite similar and the grip is wood.

You said, "further name on the barrels", what might that name be? What condition are the bores in? That and if the barrels ring true will determine whether or not it's a shooter or wall hanger. If, after a thorough examination by a gunsmith who KNOWS black powder guns and laminate barrels, it's determined to be shootable, it shouldn't be fired with ANYTHING but black powder shells and I'd recommend the classic, square, 16 bore load of 2 1/2 drams of BP under an ounce of shot, loaded with TRADITIONAL wads, NOT plastic shot cups and, brass hulls would be the preferred hulls.

However it turns out to be, GENTLY clean it up and it will make a gorgeous wall hanger, possibly suitable for gathering a brace of quail or pheasant or, a mess of squirrel or rabbit on occasion. For lands sake DO NOT get aggressive in your cleaning. It won't take much to clean off whatever value it has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely gorgeous shotgun. Amazing condition considering it's age. I sure wouldn't call this a 'wall hanger'. It is art work.

There are people who still use muzzle loading shotguns - but I don't know any personally. I cannot give you a value or examine the shotgun and tell you if it would be safe to fire or not just from pictures. It is almost a shame to shoot it OR hang it on a wall for decoration.

Congratulations on a very fine shotgun.
Thank You Jim for replying.
This shotgun is not a front loader, it takes 16 gage shells.
I recently modified a shell with 1/10th of power, without shot, and it shoots well on both barrels
I did, there are no markings anywhere which is really frustrating. I went over the gun few times with a magnifing glass

·
Premium Member
15,944 Posts
Well Motylewski, don't get too frustrated or you're in for a long haul. There is thousands upon thousands of German firearms that don't have as much info as what's on the rib of yours. At least you know it was made by Heym and a range of dates. I kinda, sorta collect German firearms and, even in my paltry collection, I have 3 or 4 with no marks whatsoever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You Guys for the amazing reply.
I will still try to find any markings today.
I'm thinking of gently unscrewing the metal piece on the end of the stock, just maybe there is some mark hidden there.
I guess it's worth a try

·
Premium Member
15,944 Posts
Mo, if you're talking about the butt plate, I doubt you'll find anything. Just be sure to use a properly fitting, hollow ground screwdriver. Be a shame to bugger up screw heads on a double gun like that.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I admitted I know little about these - and here's the proof! Still a beauty....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts