The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to shoot quite a bit, a long time ago. Everything from rifles/shotguns to .22 to .44mag handguns.. Now looking for advise/opinions on what to buy. Want a semi-auto pistol. was thinking .40s&w to .45acp. This is on a very limited budget, in the $250 - $300 range. Have looked at Taurus and Hi point. Liked the way both felt. Haven't fired either. At this point I throw it open for educated opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
BB,

You didn't tell us what the weapon's primary use will be. I carry a Bersa thunder UC Pro
that shoots well and fits the hand well. It is not a "high end" but I consider it very high
quality. All metal it can be had in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. You won't get it new for your price range. Mine cost me $420 including FFL charges from Bud's but it hasn't had as much as a hic-up which is important for a carry gun. Here's the Bersa site.
http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-uc-pro-series.html

A full or commander sized phillipine made 1911 might be another choice in the same price range.

You picked the wrong time to get into shooting on a shoe string budget. The anti gun crowd
is pushing prices up and up. I suggest you save a little or expand your budget by about
$150. Think buying now and going in debt a little might be a wise decision in times such as these.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be kind of a general use/ home protection gun. A lot of my friends shoot target and my son in law shoot competitive action pistol. No immediate plans for that level, but will definitely be going to the range to improve. Ultimately would like to shoot competitive league again. Not going to be a concealed carry piece, that will come later

·
Registered
184 Posts
A Hi-Point .45 is a great gun for the price range you are looking at. However it weighs a ton and if you ever want to carry it you will need some serious leather and a trench coat to cover it up. I have a couple Taurus semi-autos and they are OK, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on them due to their lack of reliability. They are fun at the range though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that the Hi Points are kinda like a brick that shoots. My older brother just bought a hi point .380 w/ compensator. (he has arthritus in his shooting hand) I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I can get a .45 at a local shop w/ a laser for $175.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Blackbird94, welcome to the forum! I carry a .45 almost all the time, concealed. If you can find one, the Norinco is about as good as it gets in .45, for a low price, $300-$400. These guns are exact copies of the Colt 1911A, and very well made. They were used in competition for years, and in fact still are. They did take some smithing to get them to competition accuracy, just like the military 1911A. In my personal opinion, I would not feel good about betting my life on a cheap pistol. A relvover on the other hand would be a safer bet. Not trying to talk you out of the pistol, just trying to express the importance of a gun that will run anytime, all the time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
appreciate the input. What I get will kind of be dictated by what I can sell the browning f/n and that old irv johnson for. I like 1911's. My son in law shoots a custom Nighthawk 1911 and he also shoots a 1911for action pistol. I like the way they shoot. I do like a thicker grip but I'm sure they can be changed to what I like

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.