The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my S&W SD40VE early next week. Given the current ammo supply situation, Is there any way to get 200-300 rounds of .40s&w ammo without paying the $30-$35 per box of 20 the stores are getting around here. Buy some reloaded stuff? Does anyone even sell reloaded ammo? I will do as much dry fire practice as possible but still need at least 100 rounds to get a CPL. Got to have some range time as well.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Most people won't shoot reloads that they don't make themselves. Most people who reload, don't sell them. Do you have to qualify for your CPL with the firearm that you are going to carry? I know that some states require that, and thank god I don't live in one.

Check out slickguns, they've been having some good deals on .40 here lately if I remember right. You pay for shipping but still beats the gougers.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
You can sharpen your fundamentals and get valuable cost effective range practice with a .22 cal pistol. There are several ont he market that are very close in size to the 40VE, save your .40 cal ammo for quals and occasional range time with your carry gun. You do need to shoot your carry gun, it just isn't necessary to burn 300 rounds a week thru it. Shoot a box a week thru the .40 just to stay familiar with trigger control of the heavier recoiling weapon, and hone the hell out of your fundamentals with a cheap to shoot, even at todays inflated prices, .22LR pistol.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Pellet rifle is a great way to stay sharp, but, you also need to train with the firearm you are going to depend on. I use a pellet rifle at home, and, as mentioned, it's not a toy. I have a Ruger .177 pellet rifle that will put a lead pellet out at 1100 FPS and a BPS precision pellet at 1200 FPS. Great practice.
Then, I get out to the range at least once every week. I don't shoot a lot, also shooting .40 S&W, but, generally 20-30 rds, in groups of 3. I shoot at 3 yds., groups of 3 shots, as quickly as I can. The goal is to get 2 or 3 shots off in 2 or 3 seconds into an 8" target. This is a tactical drill. If you have the ability, set up 2 lanes, side by side. Train the same drill, but, side step to the next lane and fire. Then, back to the previous lane. Another tactical drill. The idea is, if you're in a critical defense situation where someone has drawn a firearm on you, the first thing you want to do is maneuver to the side. Avoid being shot, while drawing down on your target. Just one lateral step, then fire. Any hit in the 8 inch "center of mass" target is good. The furthest I'll train with a handgun is 25 yds. Realistically, you're not going to be in a defensive position any further out than that and more likely, much closer. Train for the situation you are most likely to encounter. Make the training count. You don't need to fire 300 rds. at every range visit. 20 or 30 to stay sharp and keep the drills focused. Concentrate more on your posture, draw, stance, extension and rapid acquisition of a center of mass target.
I'm seeing .40 S&W back to around $25 a box here.

EDIT TO ADD: Let me know what you think of that S&W SD40VE. I'll give you my review after you've tried it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Picking up my S&W SD40VE early next week. Given the current ammo supply situation, Is there any way to get 200-300 rounds of .40s&w ammo without paying the $30-$35 per box of 20 the stores are getting around here. Buy some reloaded stuff? Does anyone even sell reloaded ammo? I will do as much dry fire practice as possible but still need at least 100 rounds to get a CPL. Got to have some range time as well.
$30-$35 per box of 20 sounds like personal defense loads versus target loads. Are you buying the gun from a store like Gander Mountain? If you are, they sell the Remington UMC Mega Pack (250 rounds) for $109 if you buy a gun from them. Check with the store you are buying the gun from in case they set aside cheaper target loads for new gun customers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good catch, Prepper. I didn't see that it said for a box of 20! I'm still buying Remington Golden Saber at $21/20. I bought Blazer Brass FMJ last week at $25/50.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good catch, Prepper. I didn't see that it said for a box of 20! I'm still buying Remington Golden Saber at $21/20. I bought Blazer Brass FMJ last week at $25/50.
No worries. I own a 40 Sigma VE myself (first gun I ever bought). I actually like it alot and 40 is my favorite caliber. I have been paying attention to the ammo situation quite closely over the past 2-3 months. It has become even worse lately and I am kicking myself for not getting more 40 when I could. I wasted money buying a 9mm gun and 9mm ammo only to decide I didn't want it any longer. I could have bought 40 when it was available more lol. I would be happy to find Blazer Brass at $25 for 50 in the current environment. I passed on some regular Blazer at $15 for 50 and Blazer Brass at $20 for 50 in February and regret it now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no bought the gun from a private shop locally, the prices are what I'm seeing in all sorts of stores from wal-mart to gun shops. and bot self defense loads. just generic fmj or jhp

·
Registered
451 Posts
No way will I pay $30 for 20 rds of FMJ ammo. That's $1.50 per rd! And, when the ammo supply comes back around, I would remember that store and would never spend a dime there. Keep checking ammoseek.com and you'll find it. I saw .40 S&W just the other day for .50 per rd. There's nothing there right now for FMJ, but, it comes and it goes. Just have to be persistent.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Each area is dif'rent but there are reloaders who provide for clubs & friends & do it well. For instance, I've a friend who reloads thousands each week, in varying calibers. He once reloaded for the police & still sells thru local shops. You might ask locally & see if someone knows a dependable guy.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Check your local gun show. With ammo in short supply there are more folks than ever making, and selling ammo. To be an ammo maker you must be certified, and insured. Be sure to check with the folks who will be testing for your CPL, some ranges will not allow home made, or "remanufactured" ammo. As others have suggested try the .22 for practice, and don't forget to look into dry firing! When done properly it will teach you proper trigger control. I do a lot of dry firing myself. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying ammo!

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Go elsewhere and spam...

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
The 22 is a good idea. When I go to the range I shoot about 20 rounds 9 mil, 30 rounds of 44 mag. Then I move to my 22 and shoot them the rest of the day. It would be easy to run through $100 or more of ammo if I didn't shoot my 22's a lot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
picked up 2 100 round boxes of winchester white box for $35.00 a box at a wal-mart near me. found .22lr 50 rounds boxes for $2.19 each. Much better

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Try shooting a BB pistol, or rifle. They are cheap, and the BB's can be reused if shot into a trap. The principles are the same no matter what type of gun you choose. When I go to the gun store there is never any ammo on the shelves that I need, so I am protecting what I have untill I am able to replenish what I use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts