The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I decided to try iron sights for a change. Here are my Volquartsen Black Mamba and my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with 5.5 inch target barrel, both withw green fiber optic sights installed instead of my normal C-More red dots.

After getting them sighted in, and remembering which way to move the rear sight, I cut the center out of the targets with both pistols.

I like the Mamba because of the sight radius and the fact it is much lighter, which will be good for target transitions during the Steel Challenge Match. I'll bring the Mark IV as a back up just in case.

·
Administrator
12,886 Posts
We shoot Speed Steel and I use a Taurus TX22 with irons. I think it is more fun than centerfire.

You should do well with either of you chosen platforms.
John,
Where are you shooting speed steel.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
.22s are a hoot and you don't have to reload all night. I wish I'd never gotten rid of a MK2 with a Witchita Rib. Also had another MK2 10" that had the ss barrel slab sided to reduce weight and a blue 10" barrel that was cut back to 7" before Ruger offered one. Fun guns. Shot lots of bowling pin matches with them. A few of us got down into the high 2 seconds on five pins years ago - many years ago. Of coarse the pros were doing that with their .45s and supers back then.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts

I decided to try iron sights for a change. Here are my Volquartsen Black Mamba and my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite with 5.5 inch target barrel, both withw green fiber optic sights installed instead of my normal C-More red dots.

After getting them sighted in, and remembering which way to move the rear sight, I cut the center out of the targets with both pistols.

I like the Mamba because of the sight radius and the fact it is much lighter, which will be good for target transitions during the Steel Challenge Match. I'll bring the Mark IV as a back up just in case.
are the shoots being held at Ben Avery?

·
Administrator
12,886 Posts
In Mt. Pleasant, Tn....about 10 miles north of Lawrenceburg. Eagle Eye Shooting Complex is the name of the range.

We shoot Speed Steel on the 3rd Saturday of the month.
Do yall have a Introductory class to show us newbies what to do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the second and third Sunday. They start at 9:00 at the Practical Range which is on the West side of the range. You have to register on PRACTISCORE.COM for either DEER TRIBE the second Sunday or CACTUS MATCH LEAGUE Steel Challenge the third Sunday.

Yes, the match starts at 9:00 and they give a small safety briefing and answer questions. When you sign up on Practiscore for the match at either DEER TRIBE for second Sunday or CACTUS MATCH LEAGUE STEEL CHALLENGE on the third Sunday.

When you register ask for a mentor and they will squad you with someone that will help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts