Getting used to CC with holster..advice

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Corvette95, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Corvette95

Corvette95 Active Member

I have plenty of guns, pistols, AR's, Bolt action but don't used carry. But thats about to change. When you first started holstering , did you do anything special? For me, I am going to start with the ONLY pistol I have with a safety, It is a Taurus (not a fan, but a warranty replacement) I figure the safety is good idea until I get good and used to it then planning to switch to my MP Shield 40. I have two holsters, none fit like I want, my pants or normally tighter than I would like so inside the waist is not an option. I like hard cases with safety snap and magnet. Would would be a good compact outside the waist holster that can be weared with shorts or pants?
    Thanks!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Look at Alien Gear, they have some great holsters.

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use a hawk holster.
    It feels good and holds on intill I hit the button.
    Mike

4. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You start with a good foundation, just like building a house. That foundation is a good gun belt, one made for those that want to carry a pistol. Then get a quality holster for the gun you want to carry, one that fits your pistol. After that it takes a little time to get used to the weight. Most of the time I even forget it's there.

5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

All I use anymore are the DeSantis leather outside the waistband holsters. I have a box full of holsters that didn't cut it. They are so comfortable I don't even know I have them on.

6. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Okay, let me try to put this in type...

The safety idea is great. But is this the weapon you will carry? You need to decide on firearm and holster. After this decision is made.... practice.
    Wear that thing everywhere, even the mens room. Practice drawing. Get used to flipping the safety off if it has one. The safety should be second nature. Oh, and the best safety there is, is the one between your ears. Your carry, you should know better than your wife.
    As to holsters; you will end up with a box full before before you find the best one.

On my point about the mens room; try it in your own bathroom. Put your holstered gun on and go sit down on the porcelain throne........:rotfl:

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

You learn very quickly to watch what you are doing, the first time you drop your gun out of your holster in a public toilet!!

8. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with the advice given. Alien Holsters was my first and I still have it. The point about the gun belt cannot be overstated, the belt is the building block and must be of high quality. Do not go cheap.
    After many holsters, I have chosen the models from 1791. The workmanship is great and being leather it will conform to your shape.

Good Luck

Larry

9. Kippy

Kippy Well-Known Member

might want to check out Sneaky Pete Holsters.

shootbrownelk, tedwitt and carver like this.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

The key as stated earlier is a good gun belt. Do not go cheap on the belt as this is the most important item. I carry my 1911 inside the waist and my revolvers outside.

You need to get over the idea of comfort...if you want to be comfortable do not carry. What you need to do is dress around your gun. If it means that you buy your pants one size larger to carry inside the waist than so be it as you will have a great belt to hold them up with your gun. I also use suspenders as they keep the pants up at the proper level and length even with the added weight of the gun. If you are carrying out side a windbreaker , or a sports jacket, or a loose fitting shirt will help with this. If you do not want to print tight fitting clothes are no longer an option.

11. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

On the back of my holster it say's TA Gun. No clue who made it, got it off the internet very reasonable. It's a leather thumb break, I like thumb break holster, other's may not. Got my belt on sale at a Bi Mart, it is leather. Put the holster on it with the belt going over the outside of the holster, works for me. I think people can get awful caught up spending a lot of money for a belt and holster. I like the thumb break as the gun come out nicely and I'm used to it. Just grab the gun and take it out, don't concern yourself with the thumb break. I always take my gun out sitting on the can. Lay my coat or shirt across the water tank or a waste basket and lay the gun in it. Have never dropped it on the floor that way. Also find it is normally covered and out of sight that way, can't see it through the crack's in the door's.

Any holster that fit's the gun well should work but no holster that hold's the gun in with a strap. Handgun's I wear trapesing around the hill's go into a holster with a strap. If you just can't buy into the idea of no spending a lot of money on a belt and holster, do it. I'm sure you'll be more comfortable thinking you have something better if you pay more for it. That is what we are conditioned to think! I may have tried better myself if I could have afforded it but I have my junk and it works very well for me! Just don't get a holster with a strap to hold in the gun!
    BTW, I have two carry holster's and both are pancake thumb break type. Neither to expensive both work well.

12. Corvette95

Corvette95 Active Member

There is an earlier post on this thread that has me thinking a lot....the guy that said check your holster in you own bathroom, you don't want you gun falling out in a public restroom stall...funny...but so true!!!!! I have several holsters, none of them I trust to wear. I got an expensive one for Christmas - the Urban carry G2- useless unless you wear super loose pants (https://urbancarryholsters.com/clas...MItIqem7bo4AIVKB6tBh0mhQakEAQYAiABEgJL2PD_BwE ) . I believe with the advice I have been given here (thanks again) , I want a holster with a snap strap and a magnetic base . All my guns by one doesn't have a safety, don't like safety's but that is the one I will carry for a while during the getting used to it phase. I plan to carry my MP40 Shield, but will start with my cheap Taurus 9mm with safety. BTW yes, getting the proper belt without a doubt.

"pancake type thumb break"????

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
    howlnmad and carver like this.
  13. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Ride's high and thumb naturally breaks the strap when you grab it, never realize you broke the strap! I'm an old guy, got old ways. The best way for any individual is the way they know!

14. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No straps needed. Grab your gun, and holster, lower you pants slowly as you sit. Or, sometimes I just remove the gun form the holster, and place it on the TP dispenser if I'm afraid it might fall out. A holster that properly fits your gun will hold it tight enough that it won't fall out when you drop your pants, or take a fall yourself.

15. LeadSmith

LeadSmith Member

Check out Simply Rugged holsters. Very tight fitting holster, and very well made. A good gun belt is a must.
    Remember, there is lots of comfort in carrying. It just isn't always comfortable.