GI.45 or Mil-Spec???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Goneracin, May 3, 2009.

1. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

ok, so I tortured myself again and went down to the local gun shop. Before when i was there, i was looking at the springfield mil-spec. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=2 they gave me a good prive on it, but said it would be 2 to 3 weeks to get it. And im a little iffy about buying a gun i havent held before. when i went there today, they had a few of the GI models in there. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=1 they are about $100 cheeper, and the internals and frame are the same. the only change is the mil spec has a worked ejection port, the slide serrations are on a slant, and the sights are slightly taller.

i plan to slowly build the gun up and get some wilson combat mags, so the extra mag that comes with the mil-spec isnt a concern, and im kinda used to military low profile sights, and they could be changed i supose.

so whats your opinion??? the GI, now (as soon as i have the money), or wait for the mil-spec?

2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Nothing wrong with th GI model and if it's going to be modified it's a great starter. You won't go wrong and save save $100 bucks to boot.

3. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

ok, sounds like a plan. thats how i was thinking

4. techoca

techoca New Member

My GI is a great shooter. Just be sure to buy the Wilson mags becauce the factory mags don't cut it, they will fail to feed the last round.
    techoca

5. SgtGing

SgtGing New Member

I bought the GI model, which is a quality 1911 to start with. I added the following parts:Wilson drop in commander beavertail, Wilson value line hammer, Wilson EZ-loader mag well, Wilson checkered front strap insert, Slim Tech grips, Wilson 1 piece guide rod, Wilson competition trigger, Masen serated flat mainspring housing, Colt extended thumb safety, and MGW three dot sights. The beavertail needed minor fitting, and the Wilson hammer dropped right in with no additional work needed.

6. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

yea, i bought the GI model a few days ago, i am very happy with its out of the box performance.

7. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I have the GI MILSPEC. I use it in my U.S.P.S.A. maches.

8. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

boy, if i had the time and money, i would consider shooting competittion. I think this gun could be very accurate with just some minor work, maybe a set of slightly higher sights, a full length guide rod, maybe some polishing of the internals, and practice for the shooter.

9. doug66

doug66 Member

My wife bought me a GI45 as a Christmas gift a few years back. Super reliable, so-so trigger and those teeny weeny sights.

Deadly on beer cans at 15 paces.

Get both....

10. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

thats the big one practice for the shooter. I have to get my time down. a mag well may be the 1st thing I do to it. then new grips.

11. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

yea i was actually very impressed with how the trigger felt out of the box. it wont take much to really dial it in. the sights are small, but i guess thats less for it to get cought on :)

12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i love the gi model, i love the short trigger and small sights. if you complain about brass hitting you they will lower and flare the slide for you, normally at no cost, thats what the rep said that was at the nra show i visited last year told me.

13. Goneracin

Goneracin Member

really, who will lower the port, springfield? that would be sweet.