The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of this short hornady brass from ftx bullets and not wanting to re trim all my other brass I'm giving in and getting a lee fcd in 45-70. Just ordered it... Why hornady did that...sheesh...

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Yeah....not a brilliant move.....not really even reasonable, doesn't make a lick of sense.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah..huge case..why they just didn't seat the bullet deeper is beyond me... There's plenty of space to make up for pressures...

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The easy solution; stop using Hornady brass.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of my brass is hornady. Back before I reloaded 45-70 I picked up 2 gallon bags of primed 45-70 shells. They were super cheap at a pawn shop.. Someone pawned their lock n load press and supplies and the shop sold the press and most of the supplies.. The brass was cheap..so I grabbed it. Fast forward to when I started reloading 45-70 I loaded up the 2 non hornady boxes I bought and went to town.. Then when I broke out this brass, posted about it and eventually found the problem I just stopped using all that extra brass and kept with my 2 boxes of non hornady. When I sat down again last week I wanted to take advantage of the 500 or so 45-70 projectiles I had cast ,sized and lubed and just load up a but load of it to use as needed... Then re-remembered the short cases. I have a couple big trays loaded and just waiting till the fcd comes in.

But yeah... I surely won't ever buy any hornady 45-70 brass ever again... Why they did that for ftx bullets is beyond me. At least the fcd will solve the issue...34$ learning experience with hornady.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts