Global Positioning Satelite ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

shizamus
    (6/26/01 11:58:15 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Global Positioning Satelite
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How do you feel about the intrusion of GPS in our lives ?

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/27/01 12:02:14 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Global Positioning Satelite
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are some (hunters and so forth) that probably think it's a great thing. All those soccer moms who get lost can just call in and say help where am I and bingo they are found.

Scary thought to know that a vehicle you drive could be tracked that easily because of a microchip. What next a people chip?

I hope this gives you an idea of how I feel about it but if not then I have but one thing to say.

Give me my old 70 truck any day of the week - at least I don't need worry quite as much about that satelite (though I do know it's only a matter of time).

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/27/01 12:05:52 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Global Positioning Satelite
    The Mark Of The Beast!

reedbuster
    (6/27/01 12:09:00 am)
    Welcome aboard shizamus,

I am a civil engineer and i think that the GPS is about the neatest thing since sliced bread. Of course you have to have your basics in line before you begin using this stuff. Alot of jokers rely too heavily on this stuff and when their batteries go they are screwed. However, a handheld GPS teamed with that Natl' Geographic sofware is very powerful. From a work standpoint 1 man can cover the ground that used to take 2 or more. I am confused by how you think GPS is intrusive. Can you clarify?
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

Alphamale
    (6/27/01 1:30:11 am)
    Reed, follow this link to enlightenment: www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/06/22/gps.airiq/index.html

Now for my thoughts about GPS, for some uses, it's great. Like SAR, or hunting. But I don't want one in my car, people don't need to know where I'm going. That's my business.
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Xracer
    (6/27/01 7:26:49 am)
    Welcome Shizamus!

Re: GPS.....a very handy tool to the fisherman or boater....and a lifesaver in the fog.

cointoss 2
    (6/27/01 8:20:10 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Well for me, GPS works wonders on the Great Lakes where I fish and has been an improvement over Loran. I wouldn,t think of leaving the dock without it.
    cointoss2

shizamus
    (6/27/01 8:49:43 am)
    The road to hell is paved with many good intentions !
    Example : A man rented a car from Acme car rental last fall,
    paid for it with his debit card only to find out later he was charged an extra $450 as penalty for speeding 3 times.
    Acme was able to point out on a map exactly where he was speeding. Acme rental cars are equipped with GPS !
    I do not want BIG BROTHER riding shotgun with me.
    Tracking us like Rats for our own good ?
    Is this FREEDOM or FASCISM ?
    As far as i am concerned i do not want any tracking devices
    around me at all. (George Orwewll's 1984).
    I do agree with you, the technology is neat.

Acme car rental is located in New Haven Conn. area.

SAY NO TO GPS.

Edited by: shizamus at: 6/27/01 10:30:13 am

reedbuster
    (6/27/01 9:11:01 am)
    Shizamus,

That is clearly correct, this is complete abuse of a great system and I can see the frustraton it has caused you. However I will continue to use mine.
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

NeoDebo
    (6/27/01 10:04:39 am)
    Use GPS where it will be a benefit to YOU. Do not use GPS when it will be detrimental to your best interests.

How to stop the unwelcome use of GPS by others? At this moment I do not know the answer.

The "chip" or whatever is used to communicate with the satellite must depend to some degree on radio. It strikes me that there would be a hell of a market for a unit that would provide short-range "jamming" of the GPS signal...

gpostal
    (6/27/01 10:06:40 am)
    gps is great for some applications ,hunting ,fishing ,and surveying even lost moms ,but ONLY IF YOU WANT IT,

the car rental example is just a sign is what is to come , major trucking companies are using it ,they track the trucks the same way ,new cars are equipped with it ,myself have no use for it ,i wouldn't want that onstar crap they are pushing ,i have made it this far in life without having to pay a monthly fee for some one behind a computer to tell me where i am at ,or unlock my car because i locked they keys in it

they already want to finger print our children and take dna samples ,this is defiantly a sign of big brother ,i can see no use for the average person ,only one that can benefit from this is Gestapo type law enforcement

SMART GUNS WITH GPS is next

polishshooter
    (6/27/01 11:39:33 am)
    The OnStar/GPS sytem is neat but worthless, if you don't pay for the extra services, but then you could always buy a map and stop and ask at a gas station where the nearest Italian restaurant is in a strange town and save the $200/yr if you ask me.

Our new company cars have them as standard, but I've never used it, one emergency I reported with my own cell phone, forgot all about it when I could have used it. In fact the couple of times I've accidentally triggered it when adjusting the mirror scared the crap out of me, once I almost wrecked!

It basically is a cellphone unit in the trunk, should be easy to disconnect temporarily, or permanently, which kind of negates their selling point of tracking the car if stolen. I'm sure car thieves have already figured it out, or else they just break off the antenna.

oldguide32
    (6/27/01 5:47:17 pm)
    I have a Magellan ($200) GPS hand held gadget. After 2 years of trying, we can't make it work. I know of 4 more around town. We took it on a hunting trip in Montana, 5 of us all with Ph.D."s in math or physics. Tried it in all locations and conditions, new batteries etc. Never worked. Cannot pick up enough satellites to get past step 1. I have had long conversations with the customer service rep at the plant. Nothing helps.Guess all 4 of us just got taken.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (6/27/01 7:00:21 pm)
    Well everything has it`s uses, but to turn them against people is another. I have used them for years when I was tournament bass fishing. I used two, a hand held and a solid mount on my boat. A fly over the lake with a hand held to pin point locations( i liked) then downloaded into the boats, for lake time, it allowed me to cover 1,000`s of acres of useless water and key in on prime structure and deepwater points. When running a couple of hundred miles a day, dead water don`t pay....run-an-gun. In the woods, I have have some success, but rely mostly on skill`s, compass(lens.) and four strings of beads....no batteries needed. I did have the chance once, to purchase some military GPS units, about the size of large field radio(walkie talkie)...passed because they were so large compared to all the new portables....later found out that they had not been reprogramed for signal degredation and were accurate to one-three meter`s..Kicked my own butt for a month after, $400.00 for a pair of them.....these work in any conditon and environment. Another small loss in my life of many. LTS

Bob In St Louis
    (6/27/01 8:47:56 pm)
    I just make a little hat out of aluminum foil so them sattellites can't see me ----- I wrap the rest of me in aluminum foil when I am expecting the Mother Ship. Slightly used olives, anyone?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

rayra
    (6/27/01 9:48:25 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Very funny Bob!

People, it's NOT GPS. It's other (intrusive) technologies that make use of the GPS-provided location information.

GPS satellites only broadcast a basic signal "I'm satellite #xxxx, the time is 00:00:00 Zulu". That's it.
    The chips in your GPS-enabled devices contain a full table of the satellites, and their orbits, and do the 3-dimensional geometry to determine your XYZ location.
    That rental car (and systems like it) used this information to calculate speed / location, and used a seperate system to communicate to the service which 'reported' the offense.

Big Brother? nah/maybe.
    A company I wouldn't do business with? certainly.
    I'm sure that rental company gets a substantial break on their fleet insurance rates by ensuring their cars are not driven in a unsafe manner.

If you think GPS itself is evil, well, don't look up, there's a Black Helicopter hovering over your house.

Semper Fi,

Rich

AntiqueDr
    (6/27/01 9:54:11 pm)
    A word about OnStar. I have worked several bad wrecks involving vehicles equipped with OnStar or similar things. EACH AND EVERY TIME the damn operator or whatever you call them is blabbering away at my patient interfering with my assessment and treatment.

For instance, had a lady who suffered a loss of consciousness and was somewhat dazed. Trying to do a brief neuro assessment while we extricated. OnStar kept saying "Ma'am? Ma'am? Where do you need the wrecker? Ma'am? Have you been in an accident?"

We, uh, had a couple of words...

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/27/01 9:56:54 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I wouldn't mind having a GPS but that Lo-Jack thing
    in cars I don't care for that idea being mandatory at
    all.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shizamus
    (6/27/01 11:01:05 pm)
    Life is made up of choices, good ones and bad ones. The choice is yours. People will give up their privacy and
    security for convenience and that choice will be yours
    entirely.
    Let us go back and watch Mel Gibson's BRAVEHEART with
    a more serious approach. FREEDOM is precious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.