The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in South Africa where our laws are obviously very different from the U.S. and this affects pricing. The government are promoting blank firing guns to scare away armed intruders, rather then real firearms. PLEASE DON'T COMMENT ON THIS - we have our own views on facing down armed intruders with a blank-firing toy!

Anyway, I can buy a blank-firing Glock 19 for R2,700 (about $200), whereas the real thing would cost about R12,000 (about $880). My question is, could I buy a G19 blank-firing and a barrel for $120 and save myself a bunch of cash? I want to understand what I'd get for my money and how much politics is driving pricing (again, please keep supposition to yourself - I'm wanting to hear from experts)

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The Glock 19 blank guns I found were made by Umarex and Bruni. They mainly make air guns. The Umarex version is licensed by Glock but they aren't made from the same materials. Even if you could convert it(which I doubt) I do not think it would be wise to do so.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The barrel is not the only portion of a firearm that is under stress. The barrel, slide and frame are all exposed to significant force. And they are not designed for, or made of materials that will safely receive that force. Good chance that you will get hurt trying to do that. This one goes straight into the "Bad Idea" bin.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Terrible idea.
It won't work, and if you could get it to, it would blow up in your hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts