The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Glock 19 a few weeks ago from a Bellevue gun shop (the first gun in my life). Yesterday I took it to a shooting range near my home, and it got jammed several times. The staff there was very nice and taught me how to deal with that situation. And he told me the 3 mags (capacity is 10) that came with the gun were not the original Glock mag, and he told me he felt sorry this happened to me.

I am still a newbie but really enjoyed shooting. Can someone tell me what is the difference between this mag and the original one, and is it a common practice for the gun shop to replace the original mags? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

· Registered
76 Posts
They replaced the mags because they could not sell the gun with the OEM factory mags because of the %&&#[email protected]! 10 rd law you have in Wa. Greg Cote is a good place or E Bay to get 10 rd mags. Those mags you have are almost as bad a ProMags. You can take them apart, and check if the springs are installed wrong or the lips need spread....go to YouTube for some vids to help you use them till you can get some Glock mags.

· Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I can't see if they are genuine Glock but if they are call Glock and maybe they will replace them for free or sell you new. Glock is one of the best CS gun manufacturer. Your gun is covered with a lifetime warranty. How do I know, my sister gave me a 19 and it needed a new frame, Glock did it for free. But ck with them before anybody else.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They replaced the mags because they could not sell the gun with the OEM factory mags because of the %&&#[email protected]! 10 rd law you have in Wa. Greg Cote is a good place or E Bay to get 10 rd mags. Those mags you have are almost as bad a ProMags. You can take them apart, and check if the springs are installed wrong or the lips need spread....go to YouTube for some vids to help you use them till you can get some Glock mags.
Yes the gun shop did mention that "%&&#[email protected]! 10 rd law" when they gave me the gun. Now it made sense. Thanks a lot for the info.
I never realized I want to move to Texas this bad after I fell in love with shooting.

I can't see if they are genuine Glock but if they are call Glock and maybe they will replace them for free or sell you new. Glock is one of the best CS gun manufacturer. Your gun is covered with a lifetime warranty. How do I know, my sister gave me a 19 and it needed a new frame, Glock did it for free. But ck with them before anybody else.
Thanks. The gun is a good gun. It's just knowing the mags were replaced made me uncomfortable. I will contact the gun shop to see if they can give me the Glock 10 rounder mags. Thank you!

You should have gotten genuine Glock magazines with your pistol, either 10 rounders or 15 rounders.
Will go to the gun shop and ask them. Thank you. My state has banned 15 rounders now:confused:

· Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Are you sure it was the mags that caused the stoppage? I have magazines from different manufactures including Pmag. So the mags may not be the issue. It could be improper grip or even a problem with the gun itself. More time at the range may reveal the exact problem.How many rounds were fired being new at shooting is a common cause with new gun owners.Did this happen with both mags?

· Registered
3 Posts
Could be a couple reasons for this. One is that the state you reside in may ban magazines over 10 rounds. and these mags have had to be altered to only accept 10 and in doing so messed up the spring.
Or mabey they arnt OEM.

What I recommend is to check out ebay, oem glock mags are for sale there, and they arnt 15 rd ones altered to only accept 10 rds but are made as single stack out of the factory.

· Premium Member
20,165 Posts
If this gun was bought as new you should have gotten new Glock mags. I am not saying these mags are bad but I would still want the OEM mags.

Were you holding the gun tight? A lot of new shooters don't hold the gun tight it will jam a semi-auto right away.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
Those are definitely Pmags. Check with your dealer and if they won't help, call Glock.
I agree. It's a Magpul magazine. I have the 15 rounders and have never had a problem with them. My suspicion would also be limp-wristing. I've watched my son do it with one of my PSA Daggers and I had to take it from him to show him it wasn't the gun. He learned and held tighter the next time.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure it was the mags that caused the stoppage? I have magazines from different manufactures including Pmag. So the mags may not be the issue. It could be improper grip or even a problem with the gun itself. More time at the range may reveal the exact problem.How many rounds were fired being new at shooting is a common cause with new gun owners.Did this happen with both mags?
My grip needs improvement for sure. I could take a picture next time this happens to me, but basically there was one bullet stuck in the chamber area tilted. If I release the mag and pull back the slide, that one will drop to the ground and problem solved. I will google how to improve my grip, but let me know if you have good advices. Thanks!

First thing I thought of was "limp wristing" with you being a new shooter.
First time I heard this term. Googled it and very helpful. Do appreciate.

I believe the stoppage was more likely due to my improper grip based on the above discussions. It's good to learn this knowledge and I will try to practice more. Thanks.

· Registered
8,036 Posts
My grip needs improvement for sure. I could take a picture next time this happens to me, but basically there was one bullet stuck in the chamber area tilted. If I release the mag and pull back the slide, that one will drop to the ground and problem solved. I will google how to improve my grip, but let me know if you have good advices. Thanks!

First time I heard this term. Googled it and very helpful. Do appreciate.

I believe the stoppage was more likely due to my improper grip based on the above discussions. It's good to learn this knowledge and I will try to practice more. Thanks.
Squeeze hand that holds handgun-front to back....off hand grips handgun /hand and squeeze-side to side,thumbs forward,preferably.

· Registered
76 Posts
Limp wristing a G19 is not un common for a new shooter. It has a heavier recoil spring than say a Glock 17 and not having a tight enough grip will affect the firearm from properly cycling. The OEM Glock 19 also is much more prone to improper cycling in the hands of a new shooter because of the...."Glock Bump" . It is a gun grip frame that is just not comfortable for many shooters. Take the same shooter with cycling problems using a OEM Glock 19 and hand them a Poly 80 PFC9 that uses the same G19 internals, and there is a much less chance of limp wristing the firearm.

· Premium Member
82 Posts
Glad you know to grip the gun firmly, I suspect the gun came with 15 round Glock mags and someone replaced them to be compliment with WA law (either a prior owner or the gun shop). If new it should have come with Glock 10 round mags. That said I can shoot 15's in Arizona with my Glock Gen5 but bought several P-Mag 10 round mags to use in California when shooting with friends and they always worked well for me. Also have a few ETS 10 round mags but the jury is still out on them, some like them and some don't. I haven't used them in my Glock19 yet but so far so good in my Lone Wolf/Timber Wolf builds.
Photograph Green Blue Air gun Black
Photograph Blue Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts