The Firearms Forum banner

Glock question

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
You have a right profile view of a full-size Glock.

Can you tell which one it is?

TV show. They have a picture of a guy holding a gun. Cops say, "It's a 45 caliber Glock".

Now, if it was a 1911, I could tell that, but I couldn't say if it was a 45 or a 9 or a 40 or whatever. Not from a side view.

Can you with a Block?

#2 ·
The caliber designation (9x19) is on the left hand side of my 19... maybe the guy has X-Ray vision?

Reactions: dbcooper
#6 ·
So - when the tv cop says, "That man was carrying a GI 45 automatic", I can be absolutely sure there is no such thing as a "GI 45 automatic", because it's television, and everything they say about guns is wrong?

And in the movies, when Gene Autry is "totin' his old 44" I can be damn sure that, whatever he actually had, it wasn't a 44, because that's Hollywood, and they never get it right?

Sam Spade could not take a Colt 25 away from Joel Cairo, or a pair of 1911s away from Wilbur, because those guns never existed - they invented them for the movie?

#7 ·
So - when the tv cop says, "That man was carrying a GI 45 automatic", I can be absolutely sure there is no such thing as a "GI 45 automatic", because it's television, and everything they say about guns is wrong?

And in the movies, when Gene Autry is "totin' his old 44" I can be damn sure that, whatever he actually had, it wasn't a 44, because that's Hollywood, and they never get it right?

Sam Spade could not take a Colt 25 away from Joel Cairo, or a pair of 1911s away from Wilbur, because those guns never existed - they invented them for the movie?
Don't be so defensive, Alpo.

TV and movies can be counted on to get most details, not just firearms wrong. That is reason enough for me to not bother watching TV cop shows or most anything that came out of Hollywood.

What is a GI 45 automatic?

When Gene Autry sang that, he actually meant his old .44, which came from Gene Autry, not Hollywood.

As far as I know, the Colt 25 could be a model 25, and I supposed that could be correct, but I don't know for sure. And the pair of 1911s do exist, which proves one thing; that Hollywood does occasionally get the details correct.

#8 ·
I wrote a response, but then I read it, thought about it, and deleated it all.

Not worth it.

#13 ·
My Heritage Arms Rough Rider has a safety. ;)

Ever watch "Hell on Wheels"? You'll se a lot of guns that didn't exist in the late 1860's, Bohannon's "Griswold" is a brass framed 1860 .44 Army. Griswold never made an army model, they are all .36 Navies and based on the 1851 Colt.

They also had Bohannon pegged for a crime because the body had a ball from a Confederate Griswold lodged in it's head. How on earth can you tell one .375 round ball from any other .375 round ball back in 1866 let alone what type of revolver said .375 round ball was fired from, especially when Bohannon's Griswold was a .44 Army that never existed in the first place?

#12 ·
I suppose that if someone were thoroughly familiar with Glocks, looking at one
from the right side and IDing it as a 45 might be possible. The 9mm and 40 are
small frame, and the 45 is a large frame. The only other caliber on the large frame
is 10mm---but they are a small percentage of large frames.

I do agree 100%----most TV shows and movies have no clue about guns.

#18 ·
Did you mean this to be on the S&W American thread?

The Smith 44 Special and the 44 Hand Ejector came out in the early 1900s.

The 44 Russian came out in 1874, and the 44 American was several years prior to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.