GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt Guest

BlackGun
    (11/18/01 12:05:30 am)
    | Edit | Del All GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Age Barometer

Count how many you remember... 1. Blackjack chewing gum
    2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
    3. Candy cigarettes
    4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
    6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
    7. Party lines
    8. Newsreels before the movie
    9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax
    11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive -6933)
    12. Peashooters
    13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records
    15. S&H Green Stamps
    16. Hi-fi's
    17. Metal ice trays with levers 18. Mimeograph paper
    19. Blue flashbulbs
    20. Beanie and Cecil
    21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns
    23. Drive-ins
    24. Studebakers
    25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
    If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age
    If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/18/01 12:46:31 am

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/18/01 12:09:59 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DURT!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Christy and I invented dirt.

Of course, we're sitting here listening to Bob Wills...

"Sweet as the morning..."

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 11/18/01 12:10:56 am

AntiqueDr
    (11/18/01 12:12:00 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    And now Hank Locklin... "Please help me I'm falllllllllin'..."
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/18/01 12:21:50 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I'm turn'in inta mud!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

BlackGun
    (11/18/01 12:22:03 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DURT!
    BOY I HOPE THIS COMES OUT RIGHT! quote " Never go to bed mad, always wake up with a kiss and a smile and say " I love you" when you say "see Ya later" Cause you never know what the the next moment will bring".

Food for thought!

This is an amazing story. After reading this , decide which choice you make !! Jerry is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!" He was a unique manager because he had several waiters who had followed him around from restaurant to restaurant. The reason the waiters followed Jerry was because of his attitude. He was a natural motivator. If an employee was having a bad day, Jerry was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to Jerry and asked him, I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?" Jerry replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, Jerry, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or you can choose to be in a bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it. Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life."Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested."Yes it is," Jerry said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people will affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live life." I reflected on what Jerry said. Soon thereafter, I left the restaurant industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it. Several years later, I heard that Jerry did something you are never supposed to do in a restaurant business: he left the back door open one morning and was held up at gunpoint by three armed robbers. While trying to open the safe, his hand, shaking from nervousness, slipped off the combination. The robbers panicked and shot him. Luckily, Jerry was found relatively quickly and rushed to the local trauma center. After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Jerry was released from the hospital with fragments of the bullets still in his body. I saw Jerry about six months after the accident. When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see my scars?" I declined to see his wounds, but did ask him what had gone through his mind as the robbery took place. "the first thing that went through my mind was that I should have locked the back door, " Jerry replied. "Then, as I lay on the floor, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or I could choose to die. I chose to live." "Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked. Jerry continued, "...the paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a deadman'. I knew I needed to take action." "What did you do?" I asked. "Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said Jerry. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes' I replied. The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Bullets!' Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead'." Jerry lived thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully. Attitude, after all, is everything.

Discard this , and pretend like it did not make your day brighter as it did mine. If you elect!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/18/01 12:48:51 am

TallTLynn
    (11/18/01 2:52:50 am)
    BlackGun - yes quite a few of us here are older than dirt - that's okay though because it means we've grown and know more than when we were little children.

And as always a very inspirational story my friend.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (11/18/01 5:39:08 am)
    BG, add me to the older than dirt list. BTW, good story.

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/18/01 9:29:06 am)
    Excellent story on attitude, if only I could live by it.

Yes I am older than dirt!

Remember cigarettes in the machine with 2 or 3 cents change inside the cellophane wrapper?

Mesen
    (11/18/01 9:58:36 am)
    Yeah BG add me to the list too. As for your day, when folks ask how I am I always say marvelous. Sometimes I really am and sometimes I'm trying to convince myself I am but either way it always works.

And on to the graveyard shift...2 funerals today and one in the morning. Been a really busy weekend. I hate that. In my line of work I don't really like being busy ya know?

Bree
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

SXSMAN
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/18/01 10:45:10 am)
    Damn,all but two.And I just turned 43.Butch wax?Is that something that 2 manly women put in their
    hair?(I know it ain't goin on der legs!)

I know there were news reels at movies,little before my time though.

AGunguy
    (11/18/01 11:11:21 am)
    Man, some of you guys must be as old as me, talking about Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys. They will now play, 'you are my sunshine followed by lay that pistol down babe.'

Anyone hatched here before 1936?

Gunguy

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/18/01 1:13:58 pm)
    Give me land lots of land under starry skies above................

The stars at nite are big an brite...............

Jus me an my shadow walkin down ...........

Thre'll be blue birds over..........

etc etc u think u r old????

An how many of ya remember this classic:
    Me an my wife an my brother Joe, took off in our Ford from San Pedro........
    anybody that can supply the title and rest of the verse will get sumpin special

honest

Edited by: ibtrukn at: 11/18/01 1:20:40 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/18/01 1:36:34 pm)
    Heck, that stuff don`t make you old...still have all that in Texas.....we still ride horses and shoot people for russlin and fence cuttin, well hangin anyway........Still have moon-pies and RC`a cola too.................

BITE ME!
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

AntiqueDr
    (11/18/01 2:09:16 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    We hadn't much gas, and the tires was low,
    But that doggone Ford could surely go!

Hot Rod Race, or something like that...

And, hell, I've got some RC in the icebox right now - and peanuts, too!

www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/18/01 2:24:00 pm)
    Hot Rod Lincoln............

AntiqueDr
    (11/18/01 2:31:32 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    No, this was before Hot Rod Lincoln. Did some searching and found it.

HOT ROD RACE by Arkie Shibley and His Mountain Dew Boys
    written by George Wilson
    Mountain Dew 101, 1950
    Gilt Edge 101, 1950
    Gilt Edge 5021, 1950
    Billboard review date: 30-Dec-50 (Gilt Edge 5021)

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/18/01 2:35:21 pm)
    but me an that mercury stayed side by side!
    Doc u win the ......
    LTS u may got RC(hell we still got that up here) but I bet u aint got Pearl or Griesedieck no more rajo!

AntiqueDr
    (11/18/01 2:39:08 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    OH yes, grew up on Pearl and Jax.
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    (11/18/01 2:39:48 pm)
    Dang, I ain't seen no RC Cola for over 45 years. Forgot what it taste like?

GG

TallTLynn
    (11/18/01 2:44:51 pm)
    RCCola - we still have it here or we did just a few years ago.

As to what it tasted like - couldn't help you - drinking pop makes me sick.

guzda
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/18/01 5:04:13 pm)
    | Edit | Del RE: Older than Dirt
    Yo! I Remember all them things. Choose to be "happy", but sometimes you got to sacrifice your own for that of others.
    Still got RC up here for 25 cents in the machine at Pechin's store (a story in itself)- still home of the 15 cent hamburger and a three or four course meal for a buck. Senior citizens eat free on Mondays, ( unless they go over $1.25 ) then the have to pay the difference and they bitch!
    " Bob Wills is still the King! " Kinda like John Prine, too.
    Regards,
    Guzda

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/18/01 5:17:58 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: RE: Older than Dirt
    John Prine???? "There`s a hole in daddys arm, where all the money goes................" Grand`Pa was a carpenter.......

AGunguy
    (11/18/01 8:08:50 pm)
    When I was a little lad, dad use to take me to town for groceries and gas for the car. The one horse town had two gas pumps with handles on the side of them, you'ed have to pump up the gas into an overhead glass jar that showed how many gallons you wanted, then with the hose in your gas tank you released the contents from the glass jar into your car or truck. I'll bet they had some doozy of a fires around the nation in those days when someone broke the filled jars.

Our ice box held a 25 lb block of ice. Our drinking water came from natures spring welling up out of the ground, we got what we needed to drink and stored it in a 1o gallon water jug with pour spot.

We had a huge veg garden, and a cow and a horse.

No electricity, batterey operated console radio, no bath tub but a huge wash tub, kids sit, adults stand. We had no bathroom indoors, outdoor privy complete with monkey ward catalog...which served two purposes...reading and...you get the idea.

Ah, the good old days.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 11/18/01 11:30:09 pm

tuckerd1
    (11/18/01 8:44:03 pm)
    I remember all on that list, but I'm still a yungin at 50! LOL!

We still got RoC Cola her in Alabama. Live just across the Chattahoochee River from Columbus, Ga. where it is manufactured and was the corporate headquarters until a year or two ago. Drive by the bottling plant everyday of the work week.

Sitting here and listening to Bill Black Combo. Good skating rink music.

Great internet radio station KDAV, www.kdav.com Lubbock, Tx. Only bad thing about this station is I can't get it in my pickup. DAMN Texicans!! Add some more power to that transmitter! Make it a WWL, New Orleans, or a WLS, Chicago from the old days!

Mesen
    (11/18/01 9:22:29 pm)
    Yeah I remember those old days of WLS-Chicago and KAAY-Little Rock (King Biscuit Flour Hour) and one from TN I can't recall their letters that played Mahalia Jackson. God bless AM radio!
    As for me I was raised on Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Little Jimmie Dickens, Ray Price, Hank Williams, Nat King Cole, & Patsy Cline. Folks go nuts when they see my cd collection. All that plus 70 & 80's rock and roll and country.
    There's still a few of the general stores in our area and one that has the old type of gas pump you were refering to earlier.
    First time I ever saw meat in a supermarket wrapped in cellophane I was 19. We always had a butcher in the store in our town (my uncle).
    And I'm only 43.

Bree
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/18/01 9:56:41 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: RE: Older than Dirt
    Well, fellars...
    Nylon stockins
    Rumble seats
    Single blade razors
    Hard roads
    Lucky Strikes
    Hay baler
    Crank Starters
    Bottled milk
    Bakery Bread
    Case Knives
    Record Players
    Electric light poles
    One room school house
    Apple plug tobacco
    Snuff
    fly swatters
    washing machine
    Electric iron
    Drug store milk shakes
    Green Hornet
    Tom Mix
    Three Stooges

I cud go on but...
    Charlie D

IceNineIceNine
    (11/18/01 11:42:51 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT!
    Dang, I scored 14 and I'm only 28! I always thought the part of the world I grew up in was behind the times....
    BTW, Black Jack gum either made a short-lived attempted comeback in the early 80's, or the local grocery cleaned out its stock room.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/01 11:12:23 am)
    Actually I was a waiter at the last supper.......

R we playin can u top this?/ less gettit on!!

honest

AntiqueDr
    (11/19/01 11:18:29 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT!
    We fertilized our okra garden with fresh dinosaur crap.

Next?

www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    (11/19/01 11:27:32 am)
    ha! WHO DO YOU THINK POLISHED THE APPLE THAT EVE GAVE ADAM
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    (11/19/01 11:39:40 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Who do you think planted the seed for the damn apple tree??

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/19/01 12:20:38 pm)
    who do you think shite the seed?????

AGunguy
    (11/19/01 1:02:22 pm)
    All these damn liars are probably from Texas, they are windier than sack full of a**holes. I still say post some year of hatching, no one's topped 1936 yet.

Gunguy

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/01 1:11:44 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Used ta buy Pearl from a bartender name Pearl down in Orla inna late 60's. Yep it's in Texas. 'Member Jax, Dr. Pepper and Tom's Toasted peanuts, pour the nuts in the DP and have a ball. Only 52, but I remembered everything on the list. Never like that Blackjack gum tho.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/01 1:15:42 pm)
    Ok, I'll fess up, I cannot beat that date. I came along in May of 43.

Grew up with WCKY in Cincinnati.

Seems that I can remember them selling baby chickens on the air.

varmit hunter
    (11/19/01 1:58:42 pm)
    | Edit | Del older than dirt
    Remember those little plastic packages of BBs that where fastend end to end?.If you had enough money you could look like a Mexican Badeto.Never could afford more than five packs.

AGunguy
    (11/19/01 3:10:21 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: older than dirt
    Do they still make them peanut patties? Use to like them as a kid.

GG

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/01 5:45:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: older than dirt
    I've run into occasionally in my travels, but they seem to be getting rare. Raised in SE New Mexico, them patties was everywhere.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/19/01 11:47:02 pm)
    | Edit | Del GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT!
    Hey Steve, was the mimeograph or the rexograph the older of the duplication systems? I just know that whatever brain damage I suffered was from sniffing all the alcohol these machines used. I would come home from grade school with blue ink all over my hands and clothes. How about the candy dots on the paper rolls, you sure got your fiber with your sugar at the Commando Cody Saturday Matinee. For about $1 at least four kids could eat themselves sick on candy. Boy did that bring back memories, thanx for the stimulation.

twins
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/01 7:05:58 am)
    | Edit | Del GOD! I'm OlDER THAN DIRT!
    Older than dirt and I'm only ***

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/01 9:10:01 am)
    Well, BlackGun, I'm not 50 yet but I remember most of the things on that list.
    The list brought back some good memories. Thank you!

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/01 9:58:32 am)
    How about the test patterns you watched before regular programing started about 4 pm on the TV? Of course there was Captain Video and his Video Rangers!

Xracer
    (11/20/01 10:12:54 am)
    "We made grease spots of many a good town...

and left the cop's head's spinnin' 'round and 'round.

They wouldn't chase, they'd just run and hide.....

but me and that Merc stayed side by side!"

Remember:

"This is London calling...."
    The Red and Blue networks....
    That big Zenith consol radio in the living room.....and no weather reports on the radio.
    The "Fireside Chats" from President Roosevelt.....
    Meatless tuesdays....
    "Rosie The Riveter"....
    Savings stamps.....
    A, B, and C gas stamps....
    Blue and Gold stars hanging in the window....when a blue star was taken down and a gold one replaced it, the whole neighborhood cried.
    35mph speed limits on all highways.
    The Joe Louis, Billy Conn fights.....
    After rationing was off, gas at 16.9 cents a gallon.....
    New cars with wooden bumpers......
    Nash, DeSoto, Kaiser, Frazier, Crosley, Hudson

Guess I must be older than dust!

guzda
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/01 9:32:42 pm)
    | Edit | Del RE: Older than Dirt
    Yeah LTS, Ol' John Prine, How about Angel from Montgomery and Dear Abby- "You are what you are and You ain't what you ain't".
    Think I'll go down stairs in the middle of the night, smoke cigarettes and sit in the dark in that "thrift store" chair. Put a John Prine record on, you know we gotta slow it down for a while.
    53 years old but a lot of miles, (hard ones).
    Happy Turkey Day- I'm going' to Cleveland to pick up my son it the morning! Yeah!
    Oh, I better load up an extra clip for the .40 S&W for the trip through the ghetto! That's what you call a real "Ghetto Blaster". Monday's the opening day of PA Buck season. Seen a couple real nice ones coming in from W VA tonight! Me and the .35 Whelen are gittin' itchy!
    Regards,
    Guzda

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/20/01 11:46:47 pm)
    Age is a matter of the mind; If you dont mind, it doesn't matter
    Browning-The Best There Is.

AntiqueDr
    (11/21/01 9:49:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    "Saturday morning serials, chapters one thru eighteen...
    Flypaper, penny loafers, Lucky Stripe Green...
    Flattops, sockhops, Studebakers, Pepsi Please!
    Do we....remember these?"

Don, Phil, Stan and Lou. Now THAT is music.

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/21/01 11:59:38 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Don't fergit the "butchwax" fer that flattop. Does it exist anymore?

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

AGunguy
    (11/22/01 12:12:54 am)
    Far as I know only dykes use it now.

GG

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/22/01 12:26:59 am)
    good lord gunguy! I blew Jamisons on my keyboard

Browning-The Best There Is.

Ms Beast
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/22/01 1:14:39 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It said I am older than dirt but I don't think it is right! Some of that stuff is still around!

jetsting
    (12/23/01 8:37:50 pm)
    jetsting, 1925-?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/23/01 9:06:37 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard jesting!

kdub01
    (12/23/01 9:32:16 pm)
    Lordy - Someone went 'way back to dig this'n up!

Looks like you folk had a lot of fun remicin' while I wuz freezin' my buns on a high mountain deer hunt.

Wal, I kain't top a '25 or '36 date (my wife can give the '36 edition a run!), but I DO log in with a '37 date. Yup, 'member all them thangs listed 'forehand and a few more, 'sides!

Xracer
    (12/24/01 10:16:57 am)
    Well, I can beat 1936, but not 1925!

.....and forget about Studebaker...my college roommate had a LaSalle!

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/26/01 12:54:46 am)
    | Edit | Del GOD! I'm OLDER THAN DIRT!
    Kukla Fran and Ollie
    Saturday Serials at the Movies
    Princess Summer-Fall-Winter -Spring
    The peanut gallery
    Phones with no dials
    Party lines
    Operators saying numbah puleeze
    Test patterns on TV
    One TV channel with your Texaco Star Theatre
    Milton Berle
    Penny postcards
    Cars (new) $1600
    Motorcycles $300
    Houses $10,000

ruffitt
    (12/26/01 6:14:41 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hudson Automobiles (Tereplane - Commodore - Hornet)
    Followed/Replaced by Nash Rambler
    Listening to the advertisement on WCKY, "Cincinnati 1, Ohio" to purchase a "genuine, imitation pearl necklace."
    Listening to The Maddox Brothers and Rose, Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers, on WCKY
    The Arthur Godfrey Hour
    Dancing the "Jitterbug"
    Wearing "Zoot Suits"
    Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour
    Senator Joseph R. McCarthy and the HUAC hearings
    Minimum wage was $0.43 per hour and the average working mans yearly income was $1,299, and a teachers salary was $1,441.00 .
    Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier for the first time
    Jackie Robinson became the first Black man to play professional baseball with the Brooklyn Dodgers
    Gandhi was assassinated in New Delhi

Now, here's a question:
    The 1940 and 1944 Olympic Games were not conducted because of the outbreak of WWII in 1939. What was the significant difference between the 1948 Olympic Games held in London and others in history?

RuffItt

the real fredneck
    (12/26/01 7:16:19 am)
    television??

ruffitt
    (12/26/01 9:18:36 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Nope, not teleision.
    RuffItt

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/26/01 10:13:31 am)
    The Germans weren't invited?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/26/01 12:26:56 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The "Terlet" was invented!

ruffitt
    (12/26/01 1:02:40 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    280freak -

You got it half right.

The Germans and the Japs were not invited because of their part (agressors) during WWII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.