The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy my first black powder pistol I'm thinking Remington 58 any one with some advice would be appreciated .

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The 58 in a steel frame is a good choice for a first bp revolver. You'll need .454 balls and #10 caps. I prefer Pyrodex since real bp isn't available locally. You also need a powder measure and a flask. I like the round CVA brass flask but I'm not sure they make them anymore. Stay away from the cheap old style pistol flasks. You may also want to pick up some lubed wads to go under the balls so you don't have to put lube over them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input hawg but cabelas was a joke i took a number like at the deli and when my number was called the ass behind the counter told me and i quote "i dont know anything about them old things to me there useless why not just buy a glock and some ammo and shoot away" well they lost my $400.and a loyal customer i will not return.so i went down to ace sporting goods in washington pa.its the local gun shop thats been around before i can remember within two minutes of walking in and standing at the black powder counter the manager walked up to me and offered help and so i walked out $435 dollars later with a uberity 58 remington powder caps balls cleaning kit and everything else i needed including some very well needed advise on shooting and cleaning my new baby.**** cabelas and the crap pietta they push they had some out on display and in my opion they where no where near the quallity of the uberity not even close the metal to wood fit was bad as was the metal to metal striat up junk.yea i paid more and yea i got more.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Quality wise Pietta and Uberti are about the same with many giving the point to Pietta. Most of mine have been Pietta and they are not junk by any means. They do have fat grips with a little proud wood at the main frame but a lot of folks like them that way. Don't go knocking the guns because you had a bad experience at the store.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
And here I was getting all bummed about the two piettas my wife and I bought a while back...just haven't fired them, yet. *whew*

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I like my Pietta 1858 from Cabelas ($164, shipped in about 3 days).
I like it better than my Colt 1860, $220 includes shipping from Cabelas in about 4 days, total price, with fluted cylinder.
Since December I think Cabelas may have suspended online sales, I don't know, but I didn't think the mania included black powder.
My Piettas are real good quality. The Remington has some nicer features, but I like having both.
As to accessories, I think the wonder wads, or any pre lubed size wad is the easiest system.
As to the flask, I don't see it as necessary.
The measure, yes. I use Goex, and pour some into a small tin can from cat food, with a spout bent into it, to pour into the measure.
The cans are disposable; I use a new (reused) one every time.
Around here, the local stores or ranges have balls, caps, wads, and Goex.
I use the .451 which is real accurate in the 1858.
It's a different experience. But I understand that at the time of the Civil War, paper cartridges were in universal use, with conical bullets.
dc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havnt shot mine yet but maybe tomarrow I'm eager to go to the range. The guy who sold me mine says number 11 caps and 454 balls but after reading some threads on here I'm seeing some like number 10 and 451 balls.im wanting to cast my own balls and buy 1000 caps but I guess I need to make sure of exactally what I need before I place an order.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
If the .451's shave a good ring you're good to go but in a lot of repros they are too loose and move under recoil. Using the .454's when a .451 would work causes no problem, just a little stiffer to load. It also gives a larger flat area for the rifling to grip. All but a few of mine have taken #10 caps, #11 usually have to be pinch fit but there are exceptions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there a way to tell if the #11 caps are too big or the #10 are too small without fireing the gun.as far as that goes how do you know even after its fired.i guess what i want to know is how do you know

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
If they're too big they will jump off on recoil. If they're too small it will take two hammer strikes to fire. You can pinch #11's a tad and make them fit #10 nipples, its just kind of a pain to have to do it.

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
I would let Cabela's know how you were treated. They have been very good to my family on any issues we have had. Send them an email just they way you put in in this post. They will probably send you a gift card.

That sales guy was an idiot. I would let them know.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
On my 1858 I get a nice ring shaved off on the .451s. And it is quite difficult to shove them down into the bore with the lever. They go down in there hard, not easy. There have been those who have broke off the load lever.
dc

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
On my 1858 I get a nice ring shaved off on the .451s. And it is quite difficult to shove them down into the bore with the lever. They go down in there hard, not easy. There have been those who have broke off the load lever.
dc
Sounds like you're not using pure lead. I use .454's in all my .44's.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sounds like you're not using pure lead. I use .454's in all my .44's.
Speers and now Hornady. It says lead on the box, I think. I don't know if it says 'pure'. But if it did, how pure is pure?
Like gold.
dc

Edit
It says pure on the Hornady box, but not on the Speer. Speer says 'soft lead'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hornady says pure lead speer says soft lead is there a difference i dont know hey david13 hows that pietta treating you i was going to buy one but thought the uberty was better however the pawl spring broke after only 92 shots wtf

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I didn't think I noticed any difference in the 'pure' or 'soft'. It seems like both are really hard. But both seem to shave a nice little ring. On both the Colt and the Remington.
Brick
I only have 144 shots thru' the two, the Colt and Remington. But so far so good.
It's somewhat time consuming, with loading and measuring and all. And also coordinating getting different materials from different places. Balls, wads, Goex, caps, and then the canyon ranges which are an hour or so away.
But it's a different and fun shooting experience.
Try Track of the Wolf or some of the other online stores for parts. For the spring.
dc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found the people at the local gun stores to be more knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and helpful. They are people who are in love with all aspects of firearms not just working a J-O-B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree about Cabelas. Last time I went the young lady greeter was the only one who said a word to me. I saw numerous other employees who never said a word to me and acted like they could care less if I was there.
Maybe its just that store, but I would be reluctant to do business with Cabelas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts