The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gun show this morning, just looking more than looking for anything in particular. I must have gone through some kind of time warp on trip to the show. Rim fire .22LR ammo was going for anywhere from $60-$80 per 500 rds. It hasn't been that long ago I paid less than $20 for the same ammount. This make the buck a round for .223 ammo almost seem like a bargain, that by the way was anywhere from $12-$20 per twenty rounds. The only thing I left with was a feeling that I wish I had bought more of it back when the price was $20 bucks or less.

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
I bought a brick a few months ago for $27 and then I found a brick a few days later of federal for $35. I have not seen any since. I have cut down range time due to this ammo shortage.

·
Banned
957 Posts
I am not plnkin' unless i can replace my stock. Guess it can wait a bit. i got a few irons in the fire & a bugout bag being finished up.........

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yep...same thing around here. The big brick supply is still very low and a lot of the local farm supply stores are asking around $4-5 for a 50 round box. NO way I'm paying that for a little box.

Well...if it makes the antis, the preppers, or whoever is behind the rimfire ammo shortage feel any better I've cleaned up my .22s and set them aside til the supply straightens out.
I'm substituting larger centerfires instead! :D
For a little afternoon fun cleaning gophers out of the pasture I just grab the .204 instead of a .22. Lots more action, but it's hard to find the tail so I can collect the bounty! :eek:
Got a skunk wandering through the yard?...the .357 gets called out instead of the lil popgun.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If it makes anyone feel better, i spent about $72 on 1575 rounds Fri evening. Granted, it was Remington bulk (alot of people complain about it but it suits my purposes). Walmarts are still gettin in .22lr, it just dont last long. Usually its the bulk remington or the bulk fed auto match, at normal prices. Anyway, now i can let the kids shoot some again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I picked up some golden bullets at Bass Pro for $23 a brick the other day. It was all gone within 1 hour. I just wish I could have bought more than 1 brick (for my use!)

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have found .22 ammo at Wal Mart. The trick is to be there when it comes in. Have a talk with the sporting goods manager, find out when the trucks come in, and when they will let you buy. Every store is different. Most stores get in a couple of trucks per day, and ammo could be on any truck that hits the docks. The same thing at any sporting goods store. Leave home a little early for work, take time to stop by your local Wal Mart, it just might pay off once a week, or so. I'll be shooting some today, as I have a guest coming by just for this purpose. I might even post up some pictures!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts