The Firearms Forum banner

good cheap fun ( crossbow )

951 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
With ammo hard to find in some popular calibers, My friends and I have been doing more archery.

We all have decent crossbows, but in looking around, I see that rural king sells an Mtech 175# crossbow, recurve style, with a red dot scope, sling, detach quiver and 4 16" bolts with tips, plus a tube of rail glide/string wax, 1 string, and 1 stringer-string for an unbelieveable price of 99$

It was so cheap.. I had to bite.

Here are my reviews of the jaguire

1, the red dot site is super cheap.. might be ok for kids target practice at 10yds.. the 3 dots are close and not super clear. then again.. how much could a 1x red dot be worth if the entire package is 99$

2, you have to assemble it. directions are pretty good. We picked up 2 as everybody brings thier teenage kids when we shoot... wanted to have enough bows to go around.

they went together easy. there is an option to install a 'iron' sight v-style rear.. and has a raised dot front already. so if nothing else. shoot it iron sight. ( i had a spare 6x32 leapers -cheap- scope so I stuck it on after the test fire.. need to sight in still ).

With great strain I can hand cock the sucker.. but the rope cockers are much easier.

whether it is real 175# or not.. dunno. it will sink it's 16" bolts just about as deep into a compressed layered xbow target similar to our spendy xbows shooting 20" bolts. so MAYBEE it really is 175#

It is lower speed though. think it quotes 20fps. where our more spendy xbow are doing 300-325

Online reviews reveal that people are hunting with this unit, and making kills on small deer ( like florida deer ). one assumes they unpraded the scope.

I think they could have made a centering peg out for the prod by using a longer front bolt with a non threaded dowel portion to pilot thru the prod.. however.. it has not moved on a few test fires.

Here's the real important portion. the trigger. I've fired many 'cheap' xbow that have horrid 9-12# trigger pulls. This one I'm happy to say has about the same pull as xbows inthe 400-700# range.. so.. in other words. Decent trigger.

as long as you don't shoot ff target and loose or damage bolts. good cheap fun with no ongoing ammo costs.

See less See more
#4 ·
surprised the heck out of me too!

We have a nicer parker that my wife claimed, leaving me with less chance to shoot it. so i started looking for my own.. one of the sport goods store put all their ten-point bows on sale.. so I grabbed a 500$ one for 300$ a while back ( shoots great )... kinda wish I had seen this one first.

for backyard plinking 99$ is much better. ;)

if i go hunting.. I'll take the parker.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.