Good trigger for m4

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mjforster, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mjforster

mjforster New Member

I have a bushmaster m4. I would like to get a better trigger. Im wondering if this is something I can order and install myself or is it something I have to send in to have installed. I have seen drop in triggers online. I would assume that means I could install it myself. Any info would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good trigger? Thanks

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Timney and others make drop in trigger modules for the AR15 platform. They indeed are drop-in.

For less money you can also get trigger parts that replace the stock items that can reduce the trigger pull and reduce the creep after they are adjusted properly. Sometimes that adjustment process can be tricky if you are after the adjustment to give the lightest and most creep free trigger. Get it wrong and the gun can double (don't ask how I know that!). There are also component parts available as a set that require no adjustment but you can't get the perfect trigger from them but it will be better than stock. Brownells sell all those items and even has a catalog just for AR parts and pieces. They sell to the public even though their biggest customers are gunsmiths and want-to-be gunsmiths (like me).

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=AR trigger&ps=10&si=True

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/catalog/AR-15-Competition-7.html

Be careful to measure trigger parts retaining pin sizes as there are two (late Colts have bigger pins, I believe, while most other receivers use the Mil-Spec size).

LDBennett

3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

4. mjforster

mjforster New Member

So I am fairly new to guns and I have never shot anything with a different trigger so im just wondering if it really makes that much of a difference. Does Bushmaster have a decent factory trigger or is this one that will really make a difference when replaced.

5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I realize that so far I am the only one that has been responding to you questions but...

I guess I would have to ask myself these questions.
    1. Is the current trigger pull affecting my ability to hit the target where I am aiming. (i.e. Is it the trigger and not me? My form or technique?)
    2. What do I expect from the weapon and what results am I currently getting? (If you are strictly target shooting for competition you would want tighter groups than say something strictly for self defense)
    3. How much am I willing to spend? (Are the gains worth the monitary output)

I'm very surprised that you haven't gotten more responses on this. I use my AR for friendly target shooting and hunting. I have it set up so that from 60yds to 250yds I am shooting within a 3 in diameter circle with 55gr FMJ ammo without adjusting my scope (as long as I am steady enough that is). That is as accurate as I need to be.

If you feel that a different trigger would be a benefit, then go on from there. If what you have now will work for your intended purpose, why put out the extra cash.

Each person has their own preferance to what works for them. Just because they like it does not mean you will. If you have a specific purpose in mind, I would post it. It may help in bringing more suggestions.

I have never shot a Bushmaster so I couldn't tell you if they are good or bad. All I know is my AR (an off brand) was not good.

I know this is probably not the info you were hoping for but maybe it will help you decide if a different trigger is even necessary.

Good shooting!!!!

6. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Well-Known Member

I have Bushmasters. The stock triggers get better as you use them. The drop in triggers that are mentioned above will give you a lighter, smoother trigger pull at a cost of $200 or more. There are experienced smiths that will get stock triggers to work smoothly.
    It really all depends on what you want your AR to do and how much you want to spend.
    I keep mine stock.

7. mjforster

mjforster New Member

After going out and shooting yesterday I think I am going to wait a little longer and see if I can get my technique better. The current trigger doesn't really bother me, especially since I haven't ever shot anything different. Your info has been quite helpful and I think that money will now be going to buying more ammo if I can find it.