Good used single stage press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 18, 2012.

1. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a used single stage press for de-bulging .40 S&W cases. There are a lot of them on e-bay, but I would like to spend $100 or less and not sure which ones to consider. I've read that de-bulging cases takes some pretty good pressure and that a "C" frame type might not work very well. I also want one that does not require that you guide each case by hand going into the die.

I"m looking for user comments and recommendations from folks that have used single stage and anything I should consider or not consider. There are a lot of used presses on ebay, but I don't want one that does not have enough leverage to de-bulge cases or one that requires you guide every case into the die.

2. stev32k

What about the Lee Breach Lock single stage? Is that one any good? It is very low priced for a new press at about $62.00, but how does it function and hold up?

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Are you refering to the Breach lock Challenger press or the Classic Cast press? There is a world of difference between the two. The Challenger is an aluminum framed press while the Classic Cast is cast iron and built like a tank.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  4. stev32k

I didn't know there were two different models. The cheap one is the Challenger. Is that one any good?

5. howlnmad

The Challenger is aluminum and the Classic Cast is cast iron. The Challenger ejects the primers through the side of the ram and into a tray, the CC drops them throught the ram into a tube.
    The Challenger should be fine for taking out the bulges. I've got both and started with an old Challenger that I've reworked hundreds and hundreds magnum belted cases on.

6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

7. stev32k

8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member

9. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

You've already made up yer mind and it's a good choice. The aluminum Challenger is a pretty good press too, that would last many years. Nuttin' wrong with alminum as I think mebbe the guys complaining about flexing are going a bit overboard (if you have to work the press that hard, really lay on the handle, sumpin wrong!). I have never seen, read, nor heard of anybody breaking or wearing out an aluminum press (I have a C-H "C" style made in the 60s that is still tight and works regularily when my other presses are busy). My first single stage press was the Challenger 2000, an aluminum frame press. Used it for 6 years before divoece forced the sale of my reloading equipment.

A reloader can always use another single stage press...:D

10. Munch

Munch Member

I have the aluminum version and can't say that I have a single complaint. It a great press, and being my only means of reloading it has churned out thousands of rounds, both rifle and pistol without so much as a hiccup. I will be looking into a progressive soon to speed things up a bit, but I'm confident that I'll have the Lee for the rest of my life.

11. howlnmad

That is a good sturdy press. It's the breech lock as you know but the two differences beteen that on and the CC I have are the primers will eject from a hole in the side of the ram and into that tray and then drop down the tube and the ram doesn't look to be able to be shortened to load the big 50s.
    This is the one that I have https://fsreloading.com/lee-classic...ntent=CSE&utm_campaign=google_merchant_center both are tanks and could probably withstand a nuclear blast.

12. stev32k

You are right. The one I ordered does have the side primer discharge. The description says the primers are discharged though the ram, but looking at the user manual and set-up instructions I find out the description is wrong.

Is there a problem with the side discharge of primers? I could cancel this order and get the other one.

13. howlnmad

Not a thing wrong with the side eject, the Challenger is that way. Every now and then a spent primer may bounce out of the tray.
    I'm not positive but I think it has a different priming system also. You may have to hand prime or use the ram prime die set up.

14. howlnmad

Just went back and read the description and it uses the lever prime so no worries there.

15. stev32k

I appreciate you pointing out that difference. I canceled the Midsouth order and ordered the right one from FS reloading. Also sent an email to Lee pointing out the error in their description of the press.

I'll never reload the 50 BMG, but if I ever wanted to sell the press that capability would be an advantage.